VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 04:09:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two GnuCash problems  (Read 5229 times)
tbrown

« on: April 10, 2009, 07:15:36 am »

:: Problem 1 - GnuCash crashes on startup

I have a fully patched and up to date install of VL 6.0 with GnuCash (gnucash-2.2.8-i586-1vl60).

1. Start GnuCash from menu launcher. It loads and says it "Cannot find default values."
2. Step through the setup wizard to fix the values problem. When the wizard is complete, GnuCash crashes.
3. Start GnuCash in terminal. Get the following output, and GnuCash crashes.

tbrown:$ gnucash
    gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time.

ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
    ERROR: Unable to find file "slib/guile.init" in load path

This is a well known problem as Google quickly reveals.

:: Problem 2 - Two versions of GnuCash in VL 6.0 repos

root:# slapt-get --search gnucash
    aqbanking-2.3.3-i586-2gsb [inst=no]: aqbanking (Banking Access for HBCI and OFX Direct Connect)
    gnucash-2.2.5-i586-1gsb [inst=no]: gnucash (GNU OpenSource Accounting Software)
    gnucash-2.2.8-i586-1vl60 [inst=yes]: gnucash (financial-accounting software)
    gnucash-docs-2.2.0-i586-2gsb [inst=no]: gnucash-docs (GNU Cash Documentation)
    gwenhywfar-2.6.2-i586-2gsb [inst=yes]: gwenhywfar (Gwenhywfar Abstration Library)

The relevant lines are:

gnucash-2.2.5-i586-1gsb [inst=no]: gnucash (GNU OpenSource Accounting Software)
    gnucash-2.2.8-i586-1vl60 [inst=yes]: gnucash (financial-accounting software)

Which version of GnuCash is the "right" one? I believe both versions are nonfunctional. I tried one at a time on a fresh install of VL 6.0 on a test box. Both versions installed and both failed to load.

Tom
tbrown

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:01:14 am »

I forgot to add that GnuCash works on VL 6.0 STD rc4 so something changed between rc4 and gold.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:11:24 am »

They're both right... but gnucash requires some extra steps after installation to setup the guile thingie IIRC.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you go to #gnome on EFNET they'll tell you which commands to run to set it up.

The package may need to be tweaked to make sure it works out of the box.

tbrown

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:21:14 pm »

I logged in to the EFNet #gnome channel. Nobody was there. I'll try again later.

I solved the slib/guile.init missing file problem, but found another problem.

1. Installed SLIB, version 2d6, in /usr/share/guile/1.8/.
2. Recursively changed owner of /usr/share/guile/1.8/slib to root.root.
3. Entered command: guile -l /usr/share/guile/1.8/slib/guile.init.

Guile spawned a new error which I won't repeat. As root, I tried to start GnuCash from the directory above and got the following errors from GnuCash and guile. The guile error (the second error) is a shorter version of the full guile error.

gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time.
   ERROR: Unbound variable: ipow-by-squaring

Tom

Bear51

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:06:46 pm »

After installing   slib 3a4-i586-4gsb  using gslapt package manager  gnucash 2.2.8  works very well. gnucash needs
the scheme library to function. I am running VL 6.0 standard with kernel 2.6.27.39 installed.
eisen6

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:36:05 am »

I experienced the same issue.  I installed slib version 3b2-i586-1vl70, but still had the issue.   I performed an su to root and was able to start gnucash successfully.  I then exited to regular user to find the issue was resolved.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: