VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 05:28:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: besides Vector Linux, any other oses you guys use?  (Read 6990 times)
dimdim07

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »

Interesting discussion. I am really learning a lot from this thread. keep them coming.  Wink

NO GUTS, NO GLORY!
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:51 am »

My system is a tri-boot system. Windows 7, VL6 SOHO and VLocity (64-bit VL Beta).

VLocity? Now that is interesting to me. A 64bit port of Vectorlinux? I have been waiting for 2 years now for a 64bit version of vectorlinux . Seems it is going to happen soon.

Since all my machines are 4gig RAM with 64bit cpu architecture, I primarily run:
Archbang 64bit (What Vectorlinux was for slackware in the past; Archbang makes archlinux easy and fun)
Pinguy OS - Ubuntu 11.10 based (No crappy unity - a sane form of gnome 3; gorgeous in my opinion)
Spouse still runs her Ubuntu 10.04.
Friends with older PC hardware: Vectorlinux 6 xfce

I still check heere as this was a key starting point for me towards love of linux. This community was amazing and very creative.
ronnyquest

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 07:12:58 am »

My system is a tri-boot system. Windows 7, VL6 SOHO and VLocity (64-bit VL Beta).
VLocity? Now that is interesting to me. A 64bit port of Vectorlinux? I have been waiting for 2 years now for a 64bit version of vectorlinux . Seems it is going to happen soon.

I have VL 7.0-64 installed on two machines and it rocks!  I am currently testing the applications we normally use, which includes mostly educational, office, mathematical, scientific, and gaming applications.  So far, most things work without a hitch.  It is in such a state that the OS is usable for the average user, in my opinion.

At the risk of staying on topic, I also run Windows XP Professional because that it what was installed on my netbook and I have been unsuccessful at getting the 3G card to work under Linux.  Soon, soon...

Compaq Presario 900Z (AMD Athlon MP, 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD) - VL 6.0 Standard
Gateway Laptop (Celeron M 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD) - VL 6.0
2 x Homebrew PCs (AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4096MB RAM, 500 GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5700, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO) - VL 7.0-64
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 10:15:02 pm »

Alright, now my Asus computer duel boots Vector Linux 7 standard and Vector Linux 7 Light beta 3, the laptops for my parents have win7 though I do use it for dazzle stuff, and my brothers lenovo has win 7 though he may have other oses on it

Forever in a box
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »

To answer the original question I can suffice with .... "none"

Really; There's nothing of my interest I'd need another OS for.

Tried some other distros, but kept it at that: trying out. that's all.

<Lame sig>
d_s

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 01:36:59 am »

I was using OpenSuSE since it came into existence, before that I was using Slackware. Vector 6.0 was a reserve system that I used only once in a while - but it saved the day when the main openSUSE got totally trashed by an update a few weeks ago. Now it's the main system.

There's still a newer openSUSE on a laptop. Besides Windows-7 which I need for work.
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:07 pm »

Just installed Linux Mint 12 rc to my other partition, curse me and my distro hopping antics!!

Forever in a box
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 03:36:23 pm »

Nothing wrong with some distro testing, especially if you have a system dedicated to experimenting.  Grin

A friend gave me an older iMac (800MHz G4, 512 RAM). So far I've tried the OS X discs that came with it, but the best web browser you can do with it is IE5, so that did not last long. Replaced with Debian PPC. Stable (Squeeze) runs pretty good, but best web browser is Iceweasel (FF) 3.6.x. Testing (Wheezy) has ver. 10.0.2, but some stability issues. On PPC systems, you don't get flash, so that limits the usability. I also don't see a speed of 4 to 5 times faster than a contemporary Intel system, as I remember Apple claiming when these things were new.
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 05:46:25 pm »

Nothing wrong with some distro testing, especially if you have a system dedicated to experimenting.  Grin

A friend gave me an older iMac (800MHz G4, 512 RAM). So far I've tried the OS X discs that came with it, but the best web browser you can do with it is IE5, so that did not last long. Replaced with Debian PPC. Stable (Squeeze) runs pretty good, but best web browser is Iceweasel (FF) 3.6.x. Testing (Wheezy) has ver. 10.0.2, but some stability issues. On PPC systems, you don't get flash, so that limits the usability. I also don't see a speed of 4 to 5 times faster than a contemporary Intel system, as I remember Apple claiming when these things were new.
YEah but I am going through blanks like candy, I will just stick with Vector Linux and Linux Mint 12 for right now.

Forever in a box
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »

At the moment, for my business it's mainly Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 & 6 as well as CentOS 5 & 6.  I actually prefer Scientific Linux to CentOS for a free Red Hat clone but some of my customers had CentOS in place when I started working for them and stuck with it.

For personal use it's mainly Vector, VLocity and SalixOS at the moment, but I am taking a look at the latest Absolute Linux as well.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
ronnyquest

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »

I also occasionally dabble a little bit sometimes in FreeBSD running on an old. red-headed stepchild of a laptop.  It's a pretty solid OS and, coming from Big Endian environs, it makes sense to me. 

In other news, we no longer use any other OS and distribution than Vector Linux.  There just is no need.

Compaq Presario 900Z (AMD Athlon MP, 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD) - VL 6.0 Standard
Gateway Laptop (Celeron M 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD) - VL 6.0
2 x Homebrew PCs (AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4096MB RAM, 500 GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5700, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO) - VL 7.0-64
ronsking

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 06:07:03 am »

I run Mandriva on my 4 year old 17" Macbook Pro. Once in a while I will boot into OSX for something.  I installed VL Light on my 87 year old father's Pentium 3 and was so impressed I installed VL Gold on an external usb hard drive for myself. A very stable distro.

Ron
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 05:13:46 am »

Amrel RT 786EX Military Toughbook with Hot swap Hardrives runs VL STD Gold7,AntiX12 base (fluxbox),and a old install of AntiX 8.5 core that is still going strong. Initial cost of Laptop. $12.50. Caddies, Hardrives, A/C adapter and cdrw drive with caddy cost me more than the laptop.  It is a good out door pack in the motorcycle saddle bags laptop. Had it for years now.

Chris530

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »

I have a large family, there are 12 computers in the house and they all run either Vector or Arch except one.
syncdram

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 10:24:28 am »

I use Debian based distributions primarily for the repositories. I run vector 7 gold 32 bit as a secondary boot to fiddle with a slackware based distribution. I was drawn to vector because of the large video help but quickly found out the video help is very outdated and a large percentage no longer works for my version of vector. I've run into  many times if i stay in the default repository settings in vector 7 and install new packages from time to time after updating its repository‚Äôs on the default settings other packages brake due to dependency's, easily fixed by un-installing or downgrading and requesting package builds.  It all depends what i need to get done at the time.
But mostly debian based.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: