VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 11:39:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Gold on a Packard Bell Easynote  (Read 966 times)
frits

« on: January 02, 2012, 09:08:10 am »

Hello, I am new to Vector and have some experience with Linux Ubuntu, Mint, Pinguy and PCLinuxOS.

Found Vector on Distrowatch and would like to give it a try on my PB.

The Live USB looked promising to do an install on my older PB. Everything worked, speedy and looked fine. Kiss

Then I installed and the fun was gone: Cry

- Installing from the Live CD wicd stopped working after the second startup. Found out on a dutch forum were Vector is discussed that I am not the only one. Embarrassed

- New install from the install CD (not the Live one, why is it not the same Huh) my screen hangs on showing the upper left corner of just the desktop background picture without any menu or something else. Stopping the "hard" way is the only solution then.

What can I do to have success with installing?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:10:25 am by frits » Logged
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »

For this release and the past few, the non-live cd (Gold) is the recommended method of installation.

The first thing to do when you have problems on a fresh installation of Gold, is to check your md5sums. There is a posted md5sum (f3cf3a7a352bb36757c2e21499762d73) that should match the .iso file you downloaded. Depending on how you burned the iso to CD, you can also verify the md5sum of the burnt CD.

I'm not sure what the recommended method is to verify the md5sum of your burnt CD, but I have a personal method to do so. Use the command-line burner software wodim to burn the iso to cdrom. Using this software will ensure that no extra "padding" is added that alot of the GUI burners put in. After burning the cd, you can read it back in and pipe it to md5sum as follows:
Code:
root:# dd if=/dev/cdrom | md5sum
dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
1426216+0 records in
1426216+0 records out
730222592 bytes (730 MB) copied, 182.553 s, 4.0 MB/s
f3cf3a7a352bb36757c2e21499762d73  -

The md5sum on the last line of output should be the same as the md5sum for your .iso file:
Code:
vector:$ md5sum VL/VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso
f3cf3a7a352bb36757c2e21499762d73  VL/VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso

This sounds like the kind of "oddball" error that I'd expect to be just a checksum problem. If your cd and iso md5sums check out and another attempt at installing hangs at the same spot, then something else is up.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
frits

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:51:07 am »

I stopped trying and installed Xubuntu 11.10. Works perfect on the PB. So I will stick to that. Thanks for your support. Cheesy

Will keep on following the developments of VL in this forum. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: