VectorLinux
November 21, 2014, 08:13:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: keeping changes on a iso usb install  (Read 1888 times)
francois.e

« on: January 07, 2012, 11:24:28 pm »

I Just installed the vector linux 7 live edition on usb:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=15662.msg88889#msg88889

My problem is that I cannot keep the changes, even after choosing to do so in settings > session and startup > automatically save session

I would like to keep the changes, any good suggestion will be accepted. Wink

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:46:23 am by francois.e » Logged
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »

With most livecd, you can specify at startup to use a specific location for home directories. If you create a second partition on your USB drive and use it for home directories, then tell the system where to look during bootup, I believe you will be able to save your settings.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:22 am »

You can use the 'changes=/path/to/device' boot option. Check out here: http://www.slax.org/documentation_boot_cheatcodes.php

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
francois.e

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »

Thanks.

I think the problem comes from the fact that I installed vector on a ext2 formatted usb key using grub 0.97 and grubconfig method to boot the key, instead of fat32 and the bootinst.sh command.

What do you think?
francois.e

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:19:27 pm »

@rebistolfi:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been on slax forum the past four years and presently I am on porteus a slax fork. This does not work. For one reason or another once the usb key has booted, there is no way to save with the cheatcode changes= in the menu.lst or on the partition where vector is nested or on any other partition sdx or hdx.

In addition, with the usb key I have installed vector on a hdd partition and I am unable to get vector to boot with grub.
itps.egypt

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:57:26 pm »

so,
is there any suggested solution to install VL7 live USB with persistence?
can VL7 keep changes when using on USB ? or not supported feature?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »

Sorry I always used lilo. IIRC, I just pressed <tab> and booted with something like

linux changes=/dev/sdb

Maybe some of the grub folks can help you better.

Good Luck!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
francois.e

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:54 pm »

Once booted the usb key will not allow writing on the partition where it resides. You do not get that with slax.

In addition, it is impossible to change the permission on the key from vector even thru root.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: