VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 07:16:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VMKLIVE on VectorLLInux 7  (Read 997 times)
shrinivas

« on: January 14, 2012, 08:25:37 pm »

I have installed recently VectorLinux on my hard drive.
It is a stable system and working well.
Sooner or later, I may bork the installation by experimenting. I already did with one installation of VL7
I need to know how to create a livecd of my installed system. Does vmklive work with this version 7 and if it does how to go about it ?
I am not an expert on anything so I request you to be patient with me
Regards and thanks.
Shrinivas
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

Quite a while ago I made this video.
If it works with vl70, the steps should be the same.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1/?p=132

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
shrinivas

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11:15 am »

Thank you, I have downloaded the video and the file from uelsk8s.
Last time I installed that live-tools, I could not start the X, I could not recover from it and hence installed afresh.
I will try again this time and report.
Sorry, I was out-of-town for a couple of days and delayed from replying to you.
Regards
Shrinivas

BTW, this distro seems to have been made for multimedia, I could play all the formats without any problem, thanks.
shrinivas

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:47:00 am »

I was able to create an iso of the existing installed system, except that the resolution starts at 800*600 (mine is 1600*900, I had installed proprietary nvidia drivers using your tutorial)
I did not test the rest of the things, I shall report again later. It took about 45-50 minutes for the iso to be created.
After rebooting, I was unable to start wicd automatically, I had to switch on the modem, open a terminal and as root run wicd.
I hope it will not be repeated on the next boot !
Regards,

Shrinivas
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:09:00 am »

Before you start the vmklive process, you need to stop wicd and wicd-client. Otherwise, the wicd PID file gets written to the image, preventing wicd from starting. Use command "killall wicd-client && /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop".
shrinivas

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:45 pm »

Before you start the vmklive process, you need to stop wicd and wicd-client. Otherwise, the wicd PID file gets written to the image, preventing wicd from starting. Use command "killall wicd-client && /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop".

Thank you for the advice. I shall do it the next time.
But what should do now, every time I boot, I have to start wicd in terminal ! Should I use what you advised now or what ?
Regards
Shrinivas
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:21:44 pm »

Essentially, your current LiveCD is not optimal. It has a wicd pid file permanently burned into it, and you will have to manually overcome that on every live boot.

Best thing is to make a new version. Stop wicd and wicd-client and make sure that there is no file "/var/run/wicd/wicd.pid".

If you want to run this CD on other systems, modify /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove references to your NIC. Also modify the 70-persistent-cd.rules.
shrinivas

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »

Essentially, your current LiveCD is not optimal. It has a wicd pid file permanently burned into it, and you will have to manually overcome that on every live boot.

Best thing is to make a new version. Stop wicd and wicd-client and make sure that there is no file "/var/run/wicd/wicd.pid".

If you want to run this CD on other systems, modify /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove references to your NIC. Also modify the 70-persistent-cd.rules.

I understand that. But I am talking about the installed VL7 on the hard disk. .
On booting I get the message " wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it is restarted"
Then, each time I  have to restart, as root, wicd in a terminal, for it to connect. How to correct this ?
Thanks and regards
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:07:09 pm by shrinivas » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:52:28 am »

Looks like the wicd daemon does not start like it should.
Make sure that /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd is executable.
If it is, try to run "/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop" and make sure that it removes the /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid file.
If the daemon still doesn't start on boot, try adding the line
/usr/sbin/wicd
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
shrinivas

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:16 am »

Looks like the wicd daemon does not start like it should.
Make sure that /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd is executable.
If it is, try to run "/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop" and make sure that it removes the /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid file.
If the daemon still doesn't start on boot, try adding the line
/usr/sbin/wicd
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I should have told the entire message that appeared on booting. First I would get
" Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages" and then
 "Wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it has restarted"
I would restart wicd in terminal and all would be fine.
Anyway, I did as suggested by you. Now, the error "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages" still appears but I am able to connect, browse the internet etc.,
If I move the mouse over the wicd icon it still says 'Not connected" !

Regards and thanks
shrinivas

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:17:43 pm »

I googled to find out about the error, but could not solve it.
I finally uninstalled wicd, I found out that I didn't need it after all !
Regards and thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: