VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VMKLIVE on VectorLLInux 7  (Read 1511 times)

shrinivas

VMKLIVE on VectorLLInux 7
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:25:37 pm »

I have installed recently VectorLinux on my hard drive.
It is a stable system and working well.
Sooner or later, I may bork the installation by experimenting. I already did with one installation of VL7
I need to know how to create a livecd of my installed system. Does vmklive work with this version 7 and if it does how to go about it ?
I am not an expert on anything so I request you to be patient with me
Regards and thanks.
Shrinivas

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
Re: VMKLIVE on VectorLLInux 7
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

Quite a while ago I made this video.
If it works with vl70, the steps should be the same.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1/?p=132
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee

shrinivas

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11:15 am »

Thank you, I have downloaded the video and the file from uelsk8s.
Last time I installed that live-tools, I could not start the X, I could not recover from it and hence installed afresh.
I will try again this time and report.
Sorry, I was out-of-town for a couple of days and delayed from replying to you.
Regards
Shrinivas

BTW, this distro seems to have been made for multimedia, I could play all the formats without any problem, thanks.

shrinivas

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:47:00 am »

I was able to create an iso of the existing installed system, except that the resolution starts at 800*600 (mine is 1600*900, I had installed proprietary nvidia drivers using your tutorial)
I did not test the rest of the things, I shall report again later. It took about 45-50 minutes for the iso to be created.
After rebooting, I was unable to start wicd automatically, I had to switch on the modem, open a terminal and as root run wicd.
I hope it will not be repeated on the next boot !
Regards,

Shrinivas

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:09:00 am »

Before you start the vmklive process, you need to stop wicd and wicd-client. Otherwise, the wicd PID file gets written to the image, preventing wicd from starting. Use command "killall wicd-client && /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop".

shrinivas

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:45 pm »

Before you start the vmklive process, you need to stop wicd and wicd-client. Otherwise, the wicd PID file gets written to the image, preventing wicd from starting. Use command "killall wicd-client && /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop".

Thank you for the advice. I shall do it the next time.
But what should do now, every time I boot, I have to start wicd in terminal ! Should I use what you advised now or what ?
Regards
Shrinivas

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:21:44 pm »

Essentially, your current LiveCD is not optimal. It has a wicd pid file permanently burned into it, and you will have to manually overcome that on every live boot.

Best thing is to make a new version. Stop wicd and wicd-client and make sure that there is no file "/var/run/wicd/wicd.pid".

If you want to run this CD on other systems, modify /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove references to your NIC. Also modify the 70-persistent-cd.rules.

shrinivas

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »

Essentially, your current LiveCD is not optimal. It has a wicd pid file permanently burned into it, and you will have to manually overcome that on every live boot.

Best thing is to make a new version. Stop wicd and wicd-client and make sure that there is no file "/var/run/wicd/wicd.pid".

If you want to run this CD on other systems, modify /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove references to your NIC. Also modify the 70-persistent-cd.rules.

I understand that. But I am talking about the installed VL7 on the hard disk. .
On booting I get the message " wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it is restarted"
Then, each time I  have to restart, as root, wicd in a terminal, for it to connect. How to correct this ?
Thanks and regards
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:07:09 pm by shrinivas »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:52:28 am »

Looks like the wicd daemon does not start like it should.
Make sure that /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd is executable.
If it is, try to run "/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop" and make sure that it removes the /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid file.
If the daemon still doesn't start on boot, try adding the line
/usr/sbin/wicd
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

shrinivas

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:16 am »

Looks like the wicd daemon does not start like it should.
Make sure that /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd is executable.
If it is, try to run "/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop" and make sure that it removes the /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid file.
If the daemon still doesn't start on boot, try adding the line
/usr/sbin/wicd
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I should have told the entire message that appeared on booting. First I would get
" Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages" and then
 "Wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it has restarted"
I would restart wicd in terminal and all would be fine.
Anyway, I did as suggested by you. Now, the error "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages" still appears but I am able to connect, browse the internet etc.,
If I move the mouse over the wicd icon it still says 'Not connected" !

Regards and thanks

shrinivas

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:17:43 pm »

I googled to find out about the error, but could not solve it.
I finally uninstalled wicd, I found out that I didn't need it after all !
Regards and thanks