VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 10:05:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-7.0-STD RC 1 READY FOR TESTING  (Read 8685 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: January 22, 2012, 08:40:55 am »

The Vector development crew is proud to announce  the RC1 release of VLocity Linux 7.0.
VLocity Linux is 64bit Vector Linux.

We have done our best to reproduce VectorLinux in 64bit and we are really close to pulling it off. The kernel is version 3.1.10, glibc is 2.13  and everything else is up to date with Slackware64-13.37. We have the new xfce-4.8.1 with glx-dock (previously cairo-dock), latest abiword, gnumeric, inkscape, shotwell and a vast array of other programs in all categories at their latest stable versions.
We have done our best at squashing all the bugs reported so far, if we missed any please let us know.

You can download the VLocity 7.0 RC1 iso from our official servers here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.0/iso-release/VL64-7.0-STD-RC1.iso

Please post any bugs found here: https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl70/issues?status=new&status=open

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
aryr100

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:02:23 am »

Great work downloading now to test
2 questions that I have
why use this config file ? and not make a new config to match the new kernel
kernel: VectorLinux linux-3.1.10 kernel
kernel:
kernel: Built for Vectorlinux
kernel: based on the config-2.6.19.2-VLsleep
kernel: config by joe1962
kernel:
kernel:
kernel:
kernel:
kernel:
kernel: Package Created By: Uelsk8s
The other was why still use the old headers and not make a new to match the current kernel
PACKAGE NAME:  kernel-headers-2.6.37.6-x86-2.txz
PACKAGE LOCATION:  ./d
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:09:14 am »

The config is new, it is just based on that config.

The kernel headers match the toolchain, not the kernel. If you are looking for kernel soure you can find it in here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.0/kernels/3.1.10-1vl70/

HTH,
Uelsk8s
aryr100

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:28 am »

Thx for the reply was just seeking the information
Here is my setup
Installed using cli with install command
used xfs file system
install and config were fine
after reboot open file manger is slow or errors with time out messages
trouble setting up virtual-box guest
setting up virtual-box guest additions
installed kernel-src from repo
unable to mount iso from gui
mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom
sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run*
seems to be running fine typing this from it now
aryr100:$ cat vector-version
647.0 STD RC 1 built on JAN-21-2012
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:51 am »

VLocity installed easily and everything was detected automatically. I'm not sure where to put this, as I HATE bug trackers on different Web sites. I think we'll get less feedback if we have to post on the bug trackers.

I found the new VASMs very confusing and wasted a lot of time trying to find where to set up  my network. Finally I found vasm-legacy and was able to do things the way I always have. I had a lot of trouble setting my partitions for mounting. What the heck is "defaults"? I have some set to automount, others not to automount, and I finally had to do it by hand. Why are ntfs partitions not set as ntfs-3g? Why is a vfat partition called FAT32? Very bad!

WHERE IS TUXCARDS? I must have Tuxcards. I copied it from my VL7 32-bit partition but the terminal couldn't find it, even with the full path.

I can't say I'm happy with VLocity.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:08 pm »

I have to disagree with the bugtracker thingie.  You're already posting on a separate website anyway.  The main website is www.vectorlinux.com and you are posting on form.vectorlinux.com, so I dont see what the big difference is.  I think we have much to gain from using a bug tracker, and if the member is really commited to helping the project, they will follow the proper channels to make their contribution to the project.

^^ Said with the friendliest of attitudes Wink ^^

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »

My wireless connection in VLocity was unstable. I would have trouble going to a URL in the browser and disconnected, then reconnected with Wicd. Am writing this in VL7 Gold but will continue to work with VLocity.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:59:38 am »

Bonjour!

just install vl7 64 rc1 on intel pentium 4 HT cpu desktop , an old machine, it works fine including wireless AR9271 chip usb wifi ....Pls. help skype issue, now skype can't run normarlly.....any 64 bit skype pkg available on mirror now?
please do load 64 bit skype ASAP to repo!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:55 am »

Bonjour!

just install vl7 64 rc1 on intel pentium 4 HT cpu desktop , an old machine, it works fine including wireless AR9271 chip usb wifi ....Pls. help skype issue, now skype can't run normarlly.....any 64 bit skype pkg available on mirror now?
please do load 64 bit skype ASAP to repo!

I've got no answer for you, I can not find a working 64bit skype for Slackware.  If anyone has a solution please let me know.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:01 am »

Hey Stretch, once Microsoft have taken over Skype it's a done deal. Full support for *nix systems will be dropped like a hot potato. Especially, a 64bit Vector Linux out there!  Too dangerous.

I would suggest abandoning the likes of MS Skype entirely and make the switch to Jitsi .

One would want a full functioning program.

If you can't forgo the thought for now ...

There is a way ....

To run Skype on 64bit Vector you must  have multilib installed:

Source:

http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/multilib/

Info here:

http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:28:58 pm by prince » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:18:46 am »

I am uploading a pkg for VL64 to repo now. please give it a try in a few.
make sure you have the extra repo enabled then run:
"slapt-get --update && slapt-get --install skype_static"

let us know how it works

Uelsk8s
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »

Bonjour!

just installed, it worked, but people can't hear me, can't record ,,....here's prompt:
# skype
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed

i did go to alsamixer, set it every thing properly...but still recording problem
pls. instruct how to make correct recording setting
caieng

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 06:41:56 am »

Greetings uelsk8s

Wow, works, GREAT JOB.  Thank you very much.    I am posting this from Opera, though it is OUTDATED....WHY?Huh  This is a brand new download, accomplished this am....

I have some comments, hope these will be viewed as constructive, though they are critical.  I wouldn't waste your time, or mine, writing them, if I didn't seek to help you......

First of all, it really is very well done, and I congratulate you.  These criticisms, are by and large just idiosyncrasies, and most of them can safely be ignored.....This is after all, a RELEASE Candidate, so, it is 99% ready to go.  My comments are probably better directed to some future release, I suppose......

1.  WHY do you exclude the only decent streaming audio player:  VLC....  You include every manner of crappy player available, MPLAYER, GNOME MPLAYER, etc, etc, AD NAUSEUM.

HORRIBLE.

See, this is beyond just "bug" report.  This is at the heart of the distro.  You give people a 64 bit OS, with 16 bit software, and expect us to like it.

I am angry about this decision.  IT is utterly stupid.

Please don't waste your time looking at other distros, which may or may not include VLC (though, the best ones all do) as default.  Nope. 

DO LOOK at VL 7.0 "light", i.e. LXDE, which DOES have VLC, as default player, albeit in a 32 bit OS, instead of a 64 bit version.

Holy Cow, this is really discouraging to observe.  Talk about backwards. Failure to communicate.  Left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.....

How can you expect VL to be appreciated as an up and coming 64 bit Linux distro, if the XFCE (i.e. heavy) version contains crappy "lightweight" audio players, while the LXDE (i.e. light) version contains the robust, full featured, unequivocally top of the line streaming audio player?  This is interpreted, at least by me, as suggesting that the architects of the XFCE version, either do not know what they are doing, or, at the very least, have failed to appreciate the capabilities of VLC, which makes me wonder what else have they failed to appreciate?  Is that why the version of Opera is outdated?

2.  Real bug:  ok, this genuine bug, (as opposed to my usual angry denunciations of the utter banality demonstrated by the Vector Linux developers, --i.e. their action, excluding VLC) was reported by me, YEARS ago, seems like, but at least several months back, and yet, still remains.....What kind of impression do you think that conveys?  I take the time and trouble to report a bug, and the bug remains.....

Maybe the bug is deliberate.  Maybe the user, upon finding this bug is supposed to think:  "HURRAH, I know that I am using VL because there's my favorite bug, still present, always dependable....like a dear friend...."

During the installation, the screen (same old screen, some things never change) appears to allow someone to select where to install the GRUB or LILO boot manager.

I choose LILO, I then MUST change the screen resolution, else, the software reverts back to GRUB, annoyingly, but that's an annoyance, not a bug per se, just clumsy design.  No, the bug comes next:  There is, on the right half of the screen, a little window with the option for the user to select the DEFAULT operating system.....

uelsk8s, what do you imagine the ordinary user of VL is going to choose here?Huh

THREE GUESSES:

Yup, VL is the correct answer, not Windows 98 or anything else.  So, what does the semi comatose user select:   AHA!!  YES, the user chooses VL as his/her default OS.....

GREAT, excellent.  Now comes the bug:

In the lower half of that same screen is another little window, this one on the left side of the lower half of the screen, just below the previous little window situated above it, on the right side of the screen......

So, this little window on the lower left side of the screen, asks the user to confirm (or simply ignore) WHICH operating systems to include with GRUB.....

This user elects to REMOVE Windows 98 from the GRUB menu.    I don't want to see Win98 in my Grub menu, in fact, I don't want to see the Grub menu at all.  I want it to go directly to VL. 

So, then comes the bug.

I have now REMOVED Win98 as a boot option, having previously assigned Vector Linux as my default operating system, and the next item on this screen, is "NEXT", at the very bottom of the screen.  If the user, having commenced at the top of the screen, and working his way systematically from top to bottom, as is traditional, at least in most of western society, then, clicks on "NEXT", before going back, counter-intuitively, to the previous window, above the lower half of the screen, then the user will have a horrible error, requiring a complete re-installation......

What happens is that, in the process of removing Win98 from the menu of GRUB, by means of the little window on the lower left side of the screen, the little screen above it, on the right, TOP half of the screen then changes BACK, from Vector Linux, which the user had assigned as the default OS to boot, to WIN 98, which is no longer available as an OS from which to choose.

I already elaborated this terrible error, LONG ago.....Why hasn't it been fixed already?Huh?

3.  User MUST enter a password of 6 characters, nothing less will work.  There is a tiny sentence to that effect somewhere in the control software, but it is NOT PRESENT on the installation routine.  You need to insert that.  I found that my user name did not appear, though it was not flagged as an error, when I had typed only a single character for the password, during installation. 

I normally throw away distros which demand that I conform to their way of doing things.  I don't use passwords.  I enable autologin.  One character is the most I am willing to type, during the installation routine.  More than that, the distro is not having me as a supporter.  I refuse to support crap.  This installation routine is JUNK.

I  made an exception, here, out of respect for VL.  Make these changes, or I will not be using VL again.

a.  VLC audio player as default, getting rid of the utterly useless ancient junk;
b.  correct the error on the installation page, when the user selects VL as default, that's it.  That's what the user wants.
c.  single character for passwords (whatever the user wants), else, even better, like Ubuntu, AUTOLOGIN as an option, during the installation routine.  This installer, had it appeared in 1980, would have been regarded as proficient.  Today, it is unacceptable.

CAI ENG

scififry

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:54 pm »

Had to DL the iso twice because there is no md5sum in the repos, which can be a pain on my connection (3130K). Then checked both and compared the md5sums (luckily it were the same)...

Installation went fine, but X doesn't work. Also the keyboard/screen resolution selection at the first boot, which I noted here multiple times before...In fact, they DO work, but it isn't visible; so I'm e.g. pressing <cursor down>, but the blue bar marking the currently selected option doesn't move. If I press (blindly) <enter>, the blindly selected item gets selected.

Back to the X error, I posted it on Bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl70/issue/32/vl64-rc10-x-not-working

So far it kind of seems to get worse, B1 works better than B2.6, and this one works even less... Sad
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 06:58:14 am »

bon soireee!
when would you upload the fix version of skype regarding the recording  problem?now recipient can't hear me,,,,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: