VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 04:30:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-7.0-STD RC 1 READY FOR TESTING  (Read 7684 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:54 am »

bon soireee!
when would you upload the fix version of skype regarding the recording  problem?now recipient can't hear me,,,,
We need to have more people test the skype pkg in the repo to determine if it is a problem with your hardware or a problem with the skype pkg itself.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »

Quote from: vincent2 on Today at 06:58:14 am
bon soireee!
when would you upload the fix version of skype regarding the recording  problem?now recipient can't hear me,,,,
We need to have more people test the skype pkg in the repo to determine if it is a problem with your hardware or a problem with the skype pkg itself.

bonjour!

would you inform me the commands to check whether recording is working properly with sound card? i'll post the out come  of sound card here  , ok?
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 04:10:41 am »

bonjour!
her's info of sound card

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [ICH7           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH7
                      Intel ICH7 with AD1981B at irq 23
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:33 am »

Had to DL the iso twice because there is no md5sum in the repos, which can be a pain on my connection (3130K). Then checked both and compared the md5sums (luckily it were the same)...

Installation went fine, but X doesn't work. Also the keyboard/screen resolution selection at the first boot, which I noted here multiple times before...In fact, they DO work, but it isn't visible; so I'm e.g. pressing <cursor down>, but the blue bar marking the currently selected option doesn't move. If I press (blindly) <enter>, the blindly selected item gets selected.

Back to the X error, I posted it on Bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl70/issue/32/vl64-rc10-x-not-working

So far it kind of seems to get worse, B1 works better than B2.6, and this one works even less... Sad
can you post more info on how you installed, what hardware, how you are booting?
also can you boot into runlevel 2 and see what kernel is running?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
scififry

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 02:33:38 pm »

Installed from a real CD which I booted from an IDE DVD-RW; used the graphical installer with the full install option.
Hardware: Athlon 64 2GHz, 2.5GiB RAM (but only 1.5GiB because of dual-channel mode for the first 2 modules), IDE hard disk (onto a logical partition, if that matters), nVidia GeForce 6200 (AGP) (which the noveau drivers should work fine with because they do under Salix and Debian).

I could boot into runlevel 2; but unfortunately already overinstalled because I'm running out of space on that hard drive right now. It was the default kernel included with it; I think 3.1.8.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 06:59:16 pm »

nstalled from a real CD which I booted from an IDE DVD-RW; used the graphical installer with the full install option.
Hardware: Athlon 64 2GHz, 2.5GiB RAM (but only 1.5GiB because of dual-channel mode for the first 2 modules), IDE hard disk (onto a logical partition, if that matters), nVidia GeForce 6200 (AGP) (which the noveau drivers should work fine with because they do under Salix and Debian).

I could boot into runlevel 2; but unfortunately already overinstalled because I'm running out of space on that hard drive right now. It was the default kernel included with it; I think 3.1.8.

bonjour!

pls try command vxconf  to reconfigure your graphic card, see whether you can go into runlevel 4.
mostly nvidia 's not easy to be auto configured by ssyetm, ATI/intel 's better, s3 graphic also, next time when purchasing Pc just do not chose anything chips/IC made in evil red cina sweatshp factory.,you''ll be all right
ronnyquest

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 08:04:15 pm »

bon soireee!

On it.

Compaq Presario 900Z (AMD Athlon MP, 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD) - VL 6.0 Standard
Gateway Laptop (Celeron M 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD) - VL 6.0
2 x Homebrew PCs (AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4096MB RAM, 500 GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5700, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO) - VL 7.0-64
ronnyquest

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »

Getting the same error in skype:

ronnyquest:$ skype
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed

Compaq Presario 900Z (AMD Athlon MP, 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD) - VL 6.0 Standard
Gateway Laptop (Celeron M 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD) - VL 6.0
2 x Homebrew PCs (AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4096MB RAM, 500 GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5700, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO) - VL 7.0-64
scififry

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 09:45:21 am »

pls try command vxconf  to reconfigure your graphic card, see whether you can go into runlevel 4.
mostly nvidia 's not easy to be auto configured by ssyetm, ATI/intel 's better, s3 graphic also, next time when purchasing Pc just do not chose anything chips/IC made in evil red cina sweatshp factory.,you''ll be all right
nVidia cards work better under Linux than ATI and Intel cards; a LOT better. There're even kernel drivers for nVidia cards; on top of that the properarity drivers being very good. Intel cards are a pain in the ass, and only the old ATI cards (I've got those) work very well with the X11 drivers. And my nVidia card always worked; just not with RC 1.
And it doesn't have anything to do with the country where it's been made; almost all computers/computer parts are made in China these days. Saying that is just stupid and ignorant. The Chinese people aren't bad, just their government is bad and communistic.

I already tried vxconf from vasm when I was in runlevel 2. It made the graphics work, but my keyboard and mouse weren't working at all. I couldn't boot into runlevel 2 anymore because I did the lilo configuration from a different install on that machine so just one option for RC 1 was offered and the default boot mode set for RC 1 was runlevel 4.
As I stated in my last post I can't try anything else because I already overinstalled; but thanks for the help. Smiley
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »

nVidia cards work better under Linux than ATI and Intel cards; a LOT better.
pls note that the closed source nvidia drivers are known to be incompatible with realtime kernels. This has been reported to nvidia but they seem uninterested in fixing it, and because their drivers are not open source, nobody else can fix it either.
Nvidia CEOand management preach aggressive corporatism...
Nvidia does not publish the documentation for its hardware, meaning that programmers cannot write appropriate and effective open-source drivers for Nvidia's products (compare Graphics hardware and FOSS). Instead, Nvidia provides its own binary GeForce graphics drivers for X.Org and a thin open-source library that interfaces with the Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris kernels and the proprietary graphics software. Nvidia also supports an obfuscated open-source driver that only supports two-dimensional hardware acceleration and ships with the X.Org distribution. Nvidia's Linux support has promoted mutual adoption in the entertainment, scientific visualization, defense and simulation/training industries, traditionally dominated by SGI, Evans & Sutherland, and other relatively costly vendors

The proprietary nature of Nvidia's drivers has generated dissatisfaction within free-software communities. Some Linux and BSD users insist on using only open-source drivers, and regard Nvidia's insistence on providing nothing more than a binary-only driver as wholly inadequate, given that competing manufacturers (like Intel) offer support and documentation for open-source developers, and that others (like ATI) release partial documentation and provide some active development.

Because of the closed nature of the drivers, Nvidia video cards do not deliver adequate features on some platforms and architectures (However this is credited[by whom?] to be due to lack of the proper kernel API needed for implementation). Support for three-dimensional graphics acceleration in Linux on the PowerPC does not exist; nor does support for Linux on the hypervisor-restricted PlayStation 3 console. While some users accept the Nvidia-supported drivers, many users of open-source software would prefer better out-of-the-box performance if given the choice.

However, the performance and functionality of the binary Nvidia video card drivers surpass those of open-source alternatives[citation needed] following VESA standards.

it's up to you chose evil commie or freedom of  opensource.If you're political illiterate Yankee/brits/aussie
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:44:29 pm by vincent2 » Logged
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »

already tried vxconf from vasm when I was in runlevel 2. It made the graphics work, but my keyboard and mouse weren't working at all. I couldn't boot into runlevel 2 anymore because I did the lilo configuration from a different install on that machine so just one option for RC 1 was offered and the default boot mode set for RC 1 was runlevel 4.
As I stated in my last post I can't try anything else because I already overinstalled; but thanks for the help.
To get your nvidia graphics card working, edit the xorg.conf file in the /etc/X11 directory. At about line 66, in the section "Device", find a line that looks like: Driver "nvidia" , replace nvidia with "nv" or "vesa" (try "nv" first). If you have previously tried to use the nvidia driver, you must remove nvidia-related packages.

you can always pulg in another usb keyboard and mouse.

if all failed, you'd better backup your preciuos date and reformat disk as xfs adn reinstall again(by booting withy knoppix cd/dvd, then vinstall-iso to start install)
scififry

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 12:38:02 am »

Thanks for your advice vincent, but I already overinstalled, and I'm keeping my new install on that partition! Smiley
it's up to you chose evil commie or freedom of  opensource.If you're political illiterate Yankee/brits/aussie
It's not even commie stuff because the drivers aren't developed in China; also you just quoted Wikipedia.
already tried vxconf from vasm when I was in runlevel 2. It made the graphics work, but my keyboard and mouse weren't working at all. I couldn't boot into runlevel 2 anymore because I did the lilo configuration from a different install on that machine so just one option for RC 1 was offered and the default boot mode set for RC 1 was runlevel 4.
As I stated in my last post I can't try anything else because I already overinstalled; but thanks for the help.
To get your nvidia graphics card working, edit the xorg.conf file in the /etc/X11 directory. At about line 66, in the section "Device", find a line that looks like: Driver "nvidia" , replace nvidia with "nv" or "vesa" (try "nv" first). If you have previously tried to use the nvidia driver, you must remove nvidia-related packages.

you can always pulg in another usb keyboard and mouse.

if all failed, you'd better backup your preciuos date and reformat disk as xfs adn reinstall again(by booting withy knoppix cd/dvd, then vinstall-iso to start install)
I don't have a USB keyboard/mouse because I hate USB HIDs. Smiley And as I stated, the installer worked (except for the text mode selectors) totally fine; just not the installation it made.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 01:13:40 am »

you can always borrow a usb keyboard and mouse, reinstall it again but do reformat your vl7 64 partitions as xfs or ext4.
otherwise boot with vl7 64 bit cd into your installed vl7 ,type  linux root=/dev/sda"x"  ro, see on your system  booting message hang at which line....
scififry

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 02:21:47 pm »

To make this clear, I'm not going to install it again because I'm keeping my Debian installation on that partition. I used ext4 for the installation, and the filesystem was *NOT* the problem.
Also the booting wasn't the problem, the system itself worked, just Xorg didn't want to work.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:49 am »

Now that I installed Tuxcards, I'm testing VLocity again. I installed SoftMaker Office, which is the only office suite I use. It's 32-bit. When I try to start one of the programs, I get this:
me:$ textmaker
/usr/bin/textmaker: line 3: /usr/share/office2010/textmaker: No such file or directory

Of course, textmaker is in /usr/share/office2010, so the message is bogus. I've gotten similar messages when installing 32-bit programs in 64-bit VLocity.

How can I get this to work? TextMaker is essential to me.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: