VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 09:46:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.0 Light Beta 3 feedback and suggestions.  (Read 3318 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: January 29, 2012, 11:52:59 am »

Just a little more and we can get this finalized!
Please use this thread for suggestions and observations.

For bugs, go here:
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl70/issues
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:58:20 am by nightflier » Logged
autogestion

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »

One of the tools that satisfy me and Vector 6 Light miss most in the development of Vector 7 Light is VLwifitools, and I consider it more effective than wicd. I'd really like Vector 7 Light definitive count on it.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:43:41 am »

xine still crashes when trying to play an audio CD.

xmms does now play audio CD.

Could not make mplayer play anything, guess more my fault since I do not like the program.

Best player sofar "vlc" for audio and video.

"at" is still not in init.d

gslapt hang at one time. Could no repeat it. 

Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:02:22 am »

I made a video looking into it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Herpy1000?feature=mhee#p/u/0/Cr5yqi2RWSo

Forever in a box
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »

Frozen bubble crashes when I try to play an online game.

Forever in a box
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:08:38 pm »

Burned a CD with Brasero all right. Got hung on making a md5sum. Cancelled it, closed Brasero.

In Icewm got to logout window, would not react when pressed, moved
 mouse to menu for another logout, then system froze. Power reboot.
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:22 pm »

when I try to edit the openbox menu I get a writing error.

Forever in a box
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:45:32 am »

When I double the size of XMMS it just becomes a blank oblong, and any controls are thus not available.  I don't think this is specific though to VL 7 light.  No problems playing dvds with Xine.  Also I don't get the usual screen with my i810 intel graphics chip where I have to hit return to actually launch the distro.  So far all works very well, am going to install the other environments to see if we have that issue with the cd player.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:40:26 am »

OK tried to install packages from the install CD, when you load the cd a dialog pops up saying that an optical disk has been found and asks if you want to mount it, I say yes and then the file manager pops up with the contents of the install CD.  If you close the mount dialog box then the file manager loses the info, I imagine that the disk is then unmounted.... repeating it and keeping the dialog open and then launching gslapt and selecting the cd as a source produces a package source unavailable dialog asking you if you want to disable this source and continue anyway.

Logged in as root and repeated the exercise.
No mount disk dialog this time
But the sources from the CD not found again...
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:05:19 am »

Lyn, good stuff. As far as using the CD as repo sources, it's not set up that way. The packages are there, but I bastardized it by spreading the packages out in a non-standard way. This was so I could have the four different install options. Will see if I can fix that.
caieng

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »

Hi Nightflier,

Thank you for making this preliminary version available for testing.

Allow me to write, first of all, that I am submitting this message using Vector Light 7.0!!

Hurrah!!!

A couple of issues:  I doubt that these are really problems, for 99% of VL users.

I cannot login as myself.  I am writing this as "root".    Further, my password, for root, is not recognized.  My username, and passwords for both root and user, are all single characters, but when I type those characters, either as user or as root, I am informed that the wrong password has been entered.  I am obliged to login as root, without a password......

This gives no problem with other versions of Linux, Debian based, including Debian itself, and PCLOS,  but I suspect that with Slackware, my habit is viewed as an error.  Hence, my message today is this:  Please enable single digit entries, else, if that is unattractive to the developers, then, please raise an error message, signalling to the user that single characters are not tolerated by VL.

Though working as root, I am insufficiently clever to succeed in downloading and installing Opera.  I receive the file, ok, but then, with other linux distros, I would right click and "extract", then, "install" the browser.  Three steps (XP requires only one mouseclick).  I was smart enough to fetch the compressed file, I can see it in the file manager.  But then I am stuck......  Perhaps there is a link to a reference which explains to those confronted with not very user friendly interfaces, how one should proceed....

Autologin is just essential for my application.  I don't know how to enable it.....I did look in VASM.  Maybe I simply missed it....

Finally, again, this may not be a true "bug", but I think it may be worth mentioning.

I found the directory "VASM", which does not mean, counterintuitively, Vector Assembly Language Machinations, but rather, Vector Architect's Solitary Muse.

Well, ok, I don't know the meaning of the acronym, but I get the idea, this is supposed to be the control center, that enables one to adjust things.....

Well, tried, and failed to create myself as user, again.  I entered my single letter, which I use to identify myself, and VASM reported back an error, indicating that this user name had already been specified.  WEll, yes, it had been, during the installation.  but, then, why does it not accept that name, when I try to login?Huh

All in all, good job, few little quirks, but basically:  ENCOURAGING.   

Now, if only some kind hearted soul could instruct me, how to get the VL light 6.0 Norwegian winter landscape as desktop for my new 7.0 installation!!! 

hahaha.  Great.  Thanks again Vector and everyone for such a good effort....

CAI ENG
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »

Hi caieng, thanks for taking the time to test and report.  Smiley

I have heard other reports of problems with user creation and passwords during install, but never run into them myself. I don't know how to address it in the distro itself, but here are some suggestions for your system: While logged in as root, on the command line enter "passwd". You will be prompted to enter a new password, and a single character should not cause any problems. Next, use command "passwd your_username", where 'your_username' is the user you created earlier. For user names, single lower case letters will work, but not special characters or numbers.

Automatic login: If you run LXDE, go Menu > Preferences > Login Window. Otherwise, on the command line, run command "vsuper /usr/bin/gdmsetup". I am planning on adding an entry to the IceWM menu as well.

Opera: I feel that installing it using the package manager (gslapt) is much easier than searching for the install file on the internet, downloading and installing it.

For the Volumous Applications Starting Menu.. hey, your imagination is the limit! Wink

The wallpapers are found in /usr/share/wallpapers. You can copy the files from VL6 Light to your new system, then use pcmanfm's preferences to use the image of your choice. Glad you like the picture from my old stomping grounds.  Grin
caieng

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:02:36 am »

Thank you very much nightflier, a great response.  I am writing this using Opera, having rebooted, and achieved autologin, by following your directions.  Very surprisingly, I had no need to "create" a new user, for, when I clicked on the "security" tab of the login choice, and sought to enable automatic login, my username appeared as the only choice.

So, the system DID accept me as user, during the installation, however, somewhere along the line, that information did not get passed to the main "LOGIN" screen, during the normal post-install login process.

I guess that would then be a "bug", but, since I need autologin, it does not affect me at all....

GSLAPT:  very very good.  I like it.  First time to use it, and I must say, very impressive.  I haven't yet tried to use it, to remove packages that are installed by default, packages which are useless to me, (like bluetooth), but obviously important to the distro as a whole.  So, that will be an adventure.

I will undoubtedly have some more questions, as I become more familiar with the OS, now that I can actually use it!!!!

Thanks again for a terrific effort. 

CAI ENG
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 04:47:15 am »

@caieng: nice to see you're having progress. A word on gslapt though; do not use it to remove packages. At least, if you do, review the action list before clicking "Apply". There are cases where dependency checking gets out of control and it will delete other programs in the process.
caieng

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 05:54:56 am »

Thanks again, nightflier, for your encouragement, always welcome!!!

OK, I will be glad to use any other method, you would suggest, to rid myself of unwanted programs.  If it were up to me, the "light" version of VL would contain only:

Opera
VLC
ALSA mixer

and whatever dependencies those three required......

cheers,

CAI ENG
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: