VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 03:21:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux7-SOHO RC1.8 is ready to test  (Read 2552 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: February 12, 2012, 11:30:09 pm »

The first public test of our SOHO project based on VL7-GOLD and the new KDE 4.8 release is up and ready to test. Please post comments and bug reports here. If you run into any hard core hardware bug problems we would appreciate that those go to our bugtracker system as its easier to keep track and try to  fix. But feel free to post all comment reactions good or bad here so we can evaluate our progress and make the final release a great one.
thanks,
Vec

bugtracker url:
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl70/issues?status=new&status=open

Release announcement:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=15809.msg89630#msg89630
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:41:59 pm by vector » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59:05 pm »

YAY!! few days  later and no bugs  Undecided
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:55:45 pm »

It's amazing first time in vector history 48 hours after a release and not one bug reported. Hopefully a few are testing.............
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:08:23 am »

Well... some testing, some bugs. Home sick today so I had some time for a quick first look (always a silver lining  Wink ).

On my main sysem, i5/4G/nvidia gf 240, using burned CD's; Installer crashed while looking for media. Could be because I have a partition with a dozen different VL iso's on it. I restarted the installer and captured the output. Stdout just showed "Scanning /dev/sr0", errors were as follows:
Code:
(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_style_attach: assertion `window != NULL' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:5073): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_style_attach: assertion `window != NULL' failed

umount2: Invalid argument
umount: /dev/sr0: not mounted
WARNING: circular references detected
Step0 (1)
Step1 (2)
fmain (1)
FWorkspace (1)
Workspace (1)
FSidePanel (1)
SidePanel (1)
WARNING: 144 allocation(s) non freed.
Next, used the text installer, rebooted and installed everything from CD2.

The login process is very cool, it looks like an opening scene from a scifi movie.  Grin  Desktop effects wobbly and transparency was enabled. No errors reported. As usual, my webcam grabbed the top spot for sound card, but I did get a startup sound. While I was trying to change default soundcard the system froze up. Hard reset, then tried to install LibO 3.5 using gslapt. Walked away from system while it was downloading, a few minutes later I hear the machine reboot. Tried again while watching it, and it locked up a few seconds into downloading the LibO package.

Probably won't have much time to do a lot more testing for a week or so. Sad
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

Found a little more time.. undid the procedure I started with respect to default sound card (creating /etc/modprobe.d/sound). Have not had any lockups since then. Installed proprietary nvidia from their web site, no problem. Next, I totally managed to screw up my panel. Decided to reset to defaults, which revealed that some files in /etc/skel/.kde/share/config are not readable unless root.

Edit: Actually, the files in skel have all kinds of unusual owners/permissions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:16:39 pm by nightflier » Logged
tictacPoc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 06:52:32 am »

Hi Vector Team,

Tested on 2 machine

I installed these release Soho rc1 on desktop config: 790FX HDMI, cpu amd quadcore, 6 go of memory ram dddr2, one multi card reader, 3 hd.

After 48 hour I don't have any problem with vector soho rc1.  All hardware work out of the box.  This version is really fast compared to other distro system based on KDE.
The only small problem is the dock with OpenGL, he doesn't work properly but without openGL work correctly. Probably the driver.

I tested too on Netbook laptop Gateway amd x1280 video card, 250 hdrive, 2 go ram. Installation step work well, grub install configuration correctly, after first start the screen display format is correctly find. Reboot and once on the desktop, there is a problem with the graphics driver. (look the picture)  I deactivated the effects. Nothing to do but it was impossible to see the desktop.
The perfect driver video is X1950 driver work very well (mandriva pclinuxos use this driver)  or x11 i128 video driver.

I continuous test

tictacPoc

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:54:34 am »

hi

What is the directory to add in gslapt for make a complete translation of all packages installed.

I think is a problem for international user.  Undecided
Apart KDE, any other programs installed can't translated into the language of the user. Ex: LibreOffice, firefox etc. ...

thank
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:24:24 pm »

Hi Vector Team,

Tested on 2 machine

I installed these release Soho rc1 on desktop config: 790FX HDMI, cpu amd quadcore, 6 go of memory ram dddr2, one multi card reader, 3 hd.

After 48 hour I don't have any problem with vector soho rc1.  All hardware work out of the box.  This version is really fast compared to other distro system based on KDE.
The only small problem is the dock with OpenGL, he doesn't work properly but without openGL work correctly. Probably the driver.

I tested too on Netbook laptop Gateway amd x1280 video card, 250 hdrive, 2 go ram. Installation step work well, grub install configuration correctly, after first start the screen display format is correctly find. Reboot and once on the desktop, there is a problem with the graphics driver. (look the picture)  I deactivated the effects. Nothing to do but it was impossible to see the desktop.
The perfect driver video is X1950 driver work very well (mandriva pclinuxos use this driver)  or x11 i128 video driver.

I continuous test

Hi tictacPoc,
                     Can you please open a terminal as su (root) and command "lspci" and paste output here for us?
thanks.

tictacPoc

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:32 am »

hello,

On which machine you want, the desktop or the netbook?

If is on the netbook I remove Vector soho 7 rc1 because the problem with video card

LSPCI on netbook:

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (Internal gfx)
00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 1)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 2)
00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
00:13.0 USB controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0)
00:13.1 USB controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1)
00:13.3 USB controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3)
00:13.4 USB controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4)
00:13.5 USB controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Best Regard  Wink
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:45:02 pm by tictacPoc » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:49:04 am »

Used deltas to upgrade iso's to 1.9. Put on usb stick and booted from original 1.8 disc. Installer found new iso's and installed everything from those. Nice!

Sound and networking did not work until after second reboot.    EDIT: third reboot.
wicd-client preferences empty, had to manually specify eth0 for wired.

Now looking for an ati card, I know I have one somewhere...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:26:58 am by nightflier » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: