VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:20:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Return to VectorLinux  (Read 1225 times)
milo28

« on: February 15, 2012, 11:28:20 pm »

I started dabbling in Linux about 10 years ago, but Vectorlinux 4.0 was the first distro that stayed installed on my system for more than a week or so. That was my first experience with resizing a windows partition so that I could dual-boot Windows and Linux. It was also my first experience with editing /etc/fstab. I never joined the forum beck in 2004-5 when I used VL 4.0 and 4.3, but I remember finding a lot of answers there, and I was able to get a lot of stuff working on my system. I spent hours downloading packages off of the VL repository over a 3200 baud external dial-up modem. Ahh, fond memories!

I spent a few years in Ubuntu land, and the basic things I had learned from VL served me well. I wasn't afraid to dig through the config files and make my system run the way I wanted it to. Recently I decided to check out VL again, and I am impressed with how fast it runs on my hardware, even compared to Xubuntu with similar window manager configuration. I am happy to be back running VectorLinux again, which feels like an old friend. Keep up the good work!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »

Welcome back.  If you don't mind the question, what is it that caused you to come back?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
milo28

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:20 am »

Ubuntu has an unusual upgrade process, where users are encouraged to upgrade an existing installation rather than use a fresh install when a new version comes out. This has worked pretty well, but over time I think I was accumulating cruft. I had an Ubuntu install from early 2008 that I had upgraded through several releases, and it was hard to tell what packages were installed for which upgrade. I ran XFCE on Ubuntu, because I have never been a fan of large-footprint desktops and because I am a poor resident who can't afford speedy hardware. I also like the radical customization of interface that XFCE allows.

Over the last year or so I had problems with intermittent slowness that I couldn't track down. I think it was a memory leak because my system would get low on memory when it would happen. I couldn't tell which application was leaking, though. I tried a lot of things to fix the problem, like changing the timing and length of time between my backups, and then changing around the disc and partition that I backup to. I disabled all of my Firefox extensions one at a time. I tried switching to Epiphany for browsing. Nothing really helped. My wife kept complaining about the problem, and eventually she stopped using the computer very much because it was unusably slow.

I had the week off last week, so I decided to dig in and finally solve the problem. I started with a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10, but for some reason XFCE wasn't working. The window manager wouldn't draw the window decorations properly. The window manager in the Unity desktop worked just fine, but I found Unity unusable and unconfigurable. Next I tried installing Xubuntu, thinking that XFCE would probably work better in that distro, but I had the same weird window manager problem there too. I couldn't find a peep about that bug on any of the Ubuntu forums or elsewhere on the web, even when I searched for my specific hardware (an old Compaq Presario SR1010Z). I also had weird problems with the interface freezing, and I couldn't find out what was causing it.

Eventually I thought of VectorLinux and decided to give it a try. I was happy to see that XFCE was the default desktop. I installed the 7.0 Standard Gold edition. As soon as the machine booted into the desktop I was amazed at how responsive the interface was, even compared to XFCE on Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Boot time is comparable, but once the system is up and running it is really fast compared to a fresh Ubuntu/Xubuntu install. It took me a day to find and install all of my favorite software, and I ran into a few hitches here and there.

The biggest challenges were GnuCash (discussed on this thread: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=15782) and rsnapshot. (Actually it was anacron that posed the challenge, but I found help here: http://www.grocock.me.uk/blog/setting-up-anacron-on-slackware/)

Finding and installing software is more challenging on VL. Ubuntu has made software installation thoughtlessly easy. But that ease comes at the price of not knowing the details of your system, which can be frustrating and sometimes dangerous. On the other hand, if I really wanted to have absolute control I would probably be running Gentoo. It is hard to strike the balance between the two extremes, but I think VectorLinux hits a sweet spot for power users who want a system that works really well without too much fuss, but who do like to wield some authority over their system and are not afraid to dig into details. The VL community has always authored really useful tutorials and forum discussions, which I think is awesome.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:04:41 am »

Thanks!

Have you tried xfce4-screenshooter?  I think, but am not sure, that this is what runs at Menu>accessories>screenshot.  It is very good.

John

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:30 am »

Glad to have you back, milo28.
milo28

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:14:15 pm »

No, I have always used the GIMP for screenshots. That's a nice little utility, though. Maybe I will start using it. You are correct - xfce4-screenshooter is what runs when you select Menu>Accessories>Screenshot.

Here is a screenshot of my desktop setup, taken with xfce4-screenshooter. The vertical menu off to the left is an auto-hide panel 28 pixels wide, visible only with mouseover. The horizontal menu on the bottom right is always there, and includes a desktop pager, a system monitor, and the Orage clock. It is 16 pixels, which is the smallest allowable panel in XFCE4. I have disabled desktop icons, so that the right click desktop menu goes straight to the applications submenu like the old XFCE menu used to do. I like the 'microcurve' style window decorations best because they are small and simple. I have also disabled display compositing to improve performance. My overall design goal was to free up visual space and waste as few pixels as possible with static panels.

I did like the look and feel of the Cairo-dock, and was impressed with how fast it was, but I didn't think it was very easy to configure. I thought the XFCE panel was easier to set up and populate with useful things. I don't mind a Spartan interface.
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »

Welcome to the community!

Forever in a box
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:05:24 pm »

I also gave up, at least temporarily, on Cairo-dock...for the same reasons.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »

Welcome Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: