VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 02:55:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Used Mint a lot....now loving VL !  (Read 1775 times)
User-01

« on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:07 pm »

Hi all. Have said good-bye to Win-doze and not looked back. I started Crunchbang (#!) with absolutely no knowledge of Linux about 20 months ago. Really liked it and learned much, but switched to Mint a couple of months later. I've stayed with it ever since, and have really grown to love it and Linux.  Recently because of the bad publicity of Gnome 3/Unity, I decided to try another distro just in case I might need to move on from Mint. Having studied several distro's, I decided on VL 7.0 as it made the most sense. I'm very glad I tried it, because it is truly a superb distro. I got comfortable with it right away, everything worked right on my PC (once I installed the NVIDIA driver), and it's a really an easy distro to get to know. Looking forward with great anticipation to what lies ahead!!
  This forum is excellent as well. Super folks here. I hope Granny Geek can hang around for a good while longer.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »

Welcome aboard, User-01!!! Glad you like VL as much as we do... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:04:17 pm »

Welcome to the family!

Forever in a box
User-01

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »

Thanks to all!

In fact, I've gotten to like VL 7.0 so much that I think it's time for me to donate. Now, if I can just find my wallet.....
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:30 am »

Welcome and thanks for your support Smiley
milo28

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »

... because of the bad publicity of Gnome 3/Unity ...

An excellent reason to look around. Much has been said about this topic elsewhere, and we need not rehash the arguments for and against Unity in this forum.

But I will say that XFCE is really really nice. I have been using it for a long time (probably 6 years or so), and it is awesome. It gets better with every point release. It is lightweight and very fast, but it has just enough eye candy to make your desktop look smooth and beautiful. The thing I like best is that is can be radically customized. You can put panels anywhere you want and make them behave however you like them to. You can have a Windows-like interface, or a Gnome2-like interface, or a Unity-like interface, or any other classic style, or you can easily design your own interface style.

Fluxbox and LXDE are also light and fast, but I think they lack the beauty and easy customizability of XFCE.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: