VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 08:35:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compatability help please.  (Read 746 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:13 am »

Can anyone out there please tell me what the other available version(s) of Linux are that Vector Linux 7.0 is compatible with, because sometimes when I go to download software, the websites in question often display a list of different Linux versions, and the lists rarely include the one I am using, which is Vector Linux 7.0?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:54:29 am »

Usually Slackware.

Bigpaws
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »

Thanks, but what do you mean by "usually", and suppose that "Slackware" isn't listed as an option - What then?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:39 pm »

If they have a 'generic' package (which is normally a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or something along those lines) it is always best to get that package and build from source.  If you cannot do this by yourself, feel free to post a package request for the software you are trying to get and it should be built for you shortly.

Joncho

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »

If there is no slackware package your options are:

1. Build it from source.
  2. Request a package at this forum.
  3. Look for a Slackbuild to build your own package at slackbuilds.org (this could be really easy and convenient sometimes)
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:31:32 pm »

I am beginning to think that it would be a lot easier if the Linux operating systems were all standardized.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:56 pm »

I am beginning to think that it would be a lot easier if the Linux operating systems were all standardized.
Dont hold your breath on that one. 

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:20:22 pm »

Sometimes you can use the deb2targz or rpm2targz tools to convert a debian/ubuntu or fedora/CentOS package. There's also the "alien" program that helps you directly install .deb and .rpm packages.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: