VectorLinux
October 19, 2014, 08:11:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.0 Light RC1 feedback and suggestions  (Read 3004 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: February 22, 2012, 06:56:44 am »

Please use this thread for suggestions and observations.

For bugs, go here:
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl70/issues
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:04:06 pm »

xine still crashes when trying to play a audio CD. Sad

Put details in bitbucket.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53:33 am »

I did the IceWM install (as you would expect from me) and found that I could install other environments/WM from the disc this time, although when I inserted the disk into the system I had to keep the automount dialogue open otherwise it would unmount and not find the disc.   Also once that had happened I had to log out and log back in for the automount to detect the cd....   

Added LXDE but no borders or the usual control buttons on windows until I then separately installed Openbox.   Also there are some elements on the task bar of LXDE that don't show as anything other than rectangles with a cross in them... I assume these point at programs not installed?

If you add  OpenBox this way and then add additional software the menu there doesn't seem to be a way of updating openbox (it has a standard menu of application, most of which are not installed).  Jwm on the other hand has an update menu utility that works perfectly.  LXDE updates the menu automatically.  Though if you add it from the CD there doesn't seem to be any software installed and PCManFM doesn't seem to be set to manage the desktop automatically... also only the blank wallpaper is selected - so a black background.  I know this is only cosmetic and you can enable PCManFM to manage the desktop easily enough manually and then select a desktop wallpaper, but this is the sort of thing picked up by reviewers.  I accept you want and need to keep Jwm as simple as possible and this is good.

Next I will test the file associations

By the way great choice for a light spreadsheet - I remember abs :-)   Indeed the whole philosophy of this light edition is fantastic, choice and a good selection of aps for each window manager.   
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:52:11 am »

Lyn, thank you very much for that report.  Smiley

I see how manually installing packages can give you incomplete results, as the different install options depend on several packages combined with a configuration one.

If you first install the IceWM option and want to test out Openbox, try the following: Insert the cd and let it mount, then use commands "installpkg /mnt/cdrom/option2/*.txz", then "installpkg /mnt/cdrom/config/option2.txz". This should give you Openbox with PCManFM, desktop handling and fbpanel, which automatically populates the menu. The more I used it, the better I liked that setup.

To advance all the way to LXDE, use the above commands for option3. Note that you need option2 first, otherwise there will be missing pieces.

Maybe I should include meta packages on the disc for this purpose?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:43 pm »

None of the players is able to play *.arm files. Did not try LXMusikplayer since
I cannot figure out this program. The other players launched from terminal
did not give any errors.  Onle xine reports that there is no demuxer plugin
available.

cups http://localhost:631 does not find uri://Unknown, however,
entering this URI in  Menu>Setting>Printing does find the printer Epson LQ300
24-Pin and then prints when set.

I installed fluxbox and it will not show in Session on Opening window.
To launch it I have to go to init 2 and give in console "startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox". No problem.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:20:52 am »

Pita, create a file "/usr/share/xsessions/Fluxbox.desktop" and paste this into it:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Fluxbox
Comment=startfluxbox
Exec=startfluxbox
Icon=
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

That should give you an entry in gdm.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:52:43 pm »

Pita, create a file "/usr/share/xsessions/Fluxbox.desktop" and paste this into it:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Fluxbox
Comment=startfluxbox
Exec=startfluxbox
Icon=
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

That should give you an entry in gdm.

Thanks! Worked. Cheesy

Strange so now in fluxbox with fbpanel both fluxbox and fbpanel will not
accept reboot or shutdown, only logout to the login window from where I then can
reboot or shutdown.

Edit:
Checked from console login and on logout it say:
Sudo: reboot: command not found

Edit:
I just checked again. In Openbox and Fluxbox I can only logout, whereas, in
LXDE Reboot and Shutdown work as well.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:12:00 am by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »

In Openbox and Fluxbox logout and shutdown does not work since  in PATH
/sbin is not included. If I add /sbin to PATH, then kill fbpanel and start a new one
reboot and shutdown will work for Openbox.

Another way would be to change in fbpanel "sudo reboot/shutdown" to "sudo /sbin/reboot/shutdown".  In Fluxbox the menu can be changed the same way.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:27:58 pm »

Installed lxde with no problem. Did GSlapt's update, upgrade all just to test; no problem there other than its picking up large, heavy "dependencies" I don't actually hiiave the applications for -- as usual, as coded in the packages. Added Ted and xchat, will dump Abi and Pidgin later on.

It's my first run of lxde. Like it well so far. Included apps aren't to my taste. I'll try installing JWM-only and adding lxde as a package. I saw some of the tips on such further up this thread.

Only unexpected problem was the PCMan file sorting was incorrect on first run. View>file sorting, select something other than "by Name" then select "by Name" again straightened that out.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: