VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 12:22:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another returing VL user  (Read 973 times)
n4vgm

« on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:35 am »

I "inherited" a couple of older laptops from my kids when they upraded after college and one is my new LEP (Linux Experimental Platform), a Dell D500 with 512 mb RAM.

I also discovered that the D500 allows booting from the USB and now with Unetbootin I can download distros and put them on a flash drive then try 'em out. Since I had spent quite a bit of time getting the original OS (XP Pro) fixed, I searched out a clone of Norton Ghost and found Clonezilla, so with that I first imaged the XP install so I can even go back to that if need be.

I ran VL before on another laptop, a Thinkpad R30, and finally got the wifi working (it was a cheapo USB dongle). With the D500 I want a distro that will work normally and see the wifi networks. This time I tried Crunch Bang, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, and now VL 7. All will see the built in wifi card (IBM Pro LAN 2100) and connect to the network, but I cannot browse. It shows a good IP and DNS but I think my problem must be within the kernel attaching eth1 (the wifi) to the top layer. I think it wants to use ipw2100 as the driver but I can't locate the conf file.

Anyway, my old login still works here so I'm back to poke around and see if I can find a solution before posting the specifics. I have a couple of general questions though, to help me narrow it down,

1) Is the "Wifi Radar" mentioned here and there the program that scans the available networks? (that works and auto connects)
2) Doesn't the vasm auto configure supposed to make the attachment from eth1 to the radar when it runs? (done this several times but no luck)
3) What conf files should I be looking into and are they always there or sometimes not?

Thanks in advance, I want to puzzle it out for experience and one criteria for the ditros I tried was to have an active forum. Using one with 100 posts is far cry from one with 10,000!

Thanks,

Bob
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:19:21 am »

Wicd is the client you are looking for. Should be in the taskbar.

The problem maybe the type of encryption on the network.

Look at ifconfig as root to see if there is a wireless connection, wicd should
give you some information as well.

HTH

Bigpaws
n4vgm

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »

Thanks, that's helpful. I brought the laptop to work and it connected and browsed just fine so I'll have to check again at home and see if there is some other difference.

Thanks,

Bob
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:53:28 pm »

It could be you encryption type at home.  If you are WEP at home you may have to adjust the settings in wicd.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: