VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: (SOLVED!!) Help Please... Logging In and Touchpad  (Read 623 times)

ElEdwards

(SOLVED!!) Help Please... Logging In and Touchpad
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:45:34 pm »

I used VL a while back and now I'm back.  I just installed VL7.0 on my old Compaq Presario 2170us (1G Ram, Celeron-2Gig, 80 Gig HDD) in a dual boot with XP.  [Sorry but need XP for work].

I've encountered two things that I'd like help with:

#1 - When I start my laptop and just let it boot into VL, I get a dialog box stating something about a missing Xclient file and I'll be started in XTerm.  I then get a small, 1/4 screen sized terminal window (black text / white background / no borders or window controls).  I can type 'startxfce4' and I get the desktop with this terminal window on top of it.
...I then type exit and eventually get back to the log in window where I can enter my name / password and everything is normal after that.
What is this missing 'Xclient file'?

UPDATE - SOLVED:  I logged in as root, then right-clicked on the Desktop, went to Applications >> System >> Login and setup the Autologin for my username

#2 - I've never liked tapping on my touchpad, so I always disable it.  In a terminal, I can type "synclient maxtaptime=0" and that disables tapping..... but I have to open a terminal every time I start up and make that entry.
...I downloaded 'gsynaptics' but I find that the settings don't 'stick' for the next bootup.
How can I a) make the settings for gsynaptics stick or b) can I put the terminal command in a file that will auto-execute at startup?.

UPDATE - SOLVED: I gave up on making the settings for gsynaptics stick.  After some searching on this board, I made a file named "rc.touchpad" in etc/rc.d, put this code in it:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
# rc.touchpad

synclient maxtaptime=0
...then made it executable with "chmod a+x", added it to "Settings >> Session and Startup" and it works exactly the way I wanted.  Very Cool!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:19:50 am by ElEdwards »