VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: how to drive e1550 3G modem  (Read 3119 times)

vincent2

• Vectorite
how to drive e1550 3G modem
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:59:09 am »

Bonjour!

Now I've got a 3G modem for internet,here's system info

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:140c Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
but under wicd it isn't shown there,what tools for dialing up to 3G network under vectorlinux 7 gold and 64bit?now i'm running kernel 3.2.9.
hope vector linux will be user friendly to 3G/4G modem internet very soon.

Joncho

Re: how to drive e1550 3G modem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28:12 am »

wicd is for managing wifi or ethernet conections, to make your modem work you can configure chestnut-dialer.

vincent2

• Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »

but how to configure chestnut dialer for 3G internet?where to set apn in chest nut?

vincent2

• Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:29:47 am »

Bonjour!
After more thorough search on forum posts, Got the hints to dial to 3G network with chestnut dialer, so must log into as root, run chestnut-dialer under root(su), now every time log into root, run chestnutr dialer, 3G modem works fine under kernel 3.2.9 

Joncho

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:17:21 am »

Hello Vincent, sorry i didn't reply before to help you configure chestnut-dialer, i've been kind of busy.

You don't need to login as root everytime you want to use chestnut dialer, there are other ways:

OPTION #1:

just edit (as root) the /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop, find the following line:
Code: [Select]
Exec=chestnut-dialerand change it for this:
Exec=/bin/vsuper chestnut-dialer
Now everytime you login on a non-root account and try to run chestnut-dialer VL will ask for your root, password.

OPTION #2:

There are other approaches to solve this, for example: I have a laptop that i sometimes lend to my sisters or my nephews so edited the /etc/sudoers file and gave the users group permission to run chestnut-dialer as root without a root password:

run in a terminal (as root):
visudo
scroll down to the end of file and press i key to enter insert mode, then insert a new line:

%users  ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/chestnut-dialer
press ESC key to exit insert mode, then write :wq and press ENTER key to exit visudo writing the changes to the sudoers file.

Now just edit (as root) the /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop, find the following line:
Exec=chestnut-dialerand change it for this:
Exec=sudo chestnut-dialer
Now every user on this machine can run chestnut-dialer as root without a root user password.

There are more ways to accomplish this, but this worked for me, now if someone knows if there is any risk in letting a user run chestnut-dialer with root privileges... please don't let me misadvice Vincent.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:38:11 am by Joncho »

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »

do chestnut-dialer need root access to work?

Joncho

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:56 pm »

do chestnut-dialer need root access to work?

Not exactly chestnut-dialer, it is something about non-admin users being unable to do a ppp connection or something like that, i remember someone recommended me to give full privileges to users on the modem ("/dev/modem") or over pppd or something like that, but i never was able to get it right, so it was easier for me to run chestnut-dialer as root (something that never had to do with wvdial or kppp) but i always needed to run chestnut-dialer as root on every PC i've installed VL since 5.8 version.