VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Translate LanguagePack How to ?  (Read 2598 times)

tictacPoc

Translate LanguagePack How to ?
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:13:23 am »

Hello Vector community,

Congratulations on the excellent work on the new version 7.

I install on my little netbook LT30 gateway on a SSD of 60 GB. A real little rocket  VectorLinux 7.

My only problem, I can not find the language packs for past Vectorlinux in my language. For me it's in French but there are also other language. Can you describe the procedure in a topic.

For people want translate fast..  Just add a depot of slackware, reload and find xfce language pack. Clic and install

thank you
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:18:08 pm by tictacPoc »

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
Re: Translate LanguagePack How to ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:56:51 pm »

My only problem, I can not find the language packs for past Vectorlinux in my language. For me it's in French but there are also other language. Can you describe the procedure in a topic.

For people want translate fast..  Just add a depot of slackware, reload and find xfce language pack. Clic and install

thank you

The depot of slackware sounds like a good suggestion for translation.  Also, Vector Linux does have different language packs installed.  To see which ones, run the following command:

Code: [Select]
locale -a
Specifically French locales can be seen by the following:

mark:$ locale -a | grep fr
fr_BE
fr_BE.utf8
fr_BE@euro
fr_CA
fr_CA.utf8
fr_CH
fr_CH.utf8
fr_FR
fr_FR.utf8
fr_FR@euro
fr_LU
fr_LU.utf8
fr_LU@euro
vector:/~

I think that fr_CA is Canadian French, whereas fr_FR is French from France (not sure about the "fr_FR@euro" -- maybe covers some of the other European nations that have French as one of their languages).
Anyway, to change the current setting from en_US to fr_CA, open the file /etc/profile.d/lang.sh, find the line where it says "en_US", comment this out ("#en_US"), and underneath type in fr_CA (or whichever French you want, IE, fr_FR).

For example, the file will have two lines like this:

# en_US is the Slackware default locale:
export LANG=en_US

So, just comment out the en_US line and substitute it with fr_CA:

# en_US is the Slackware default locale:
#export LANG=en_US
export LANG=fr_CA

Many of the programs, like Abiword, will then be in French.

PS, you may need to restart the machine to see the effect of the locale change.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:04:13 am by MarkGrieveson »
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE