VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 01:17:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.
 
Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting locale?  (Read 2075 times)
Stokstaartje
Member
*
Posts: 36


« on: February 06, 2008, 01:40:15 am »

First of all, I might be looking for the wrong solution...

When ripping cd's with K3b, sometimes the names of the artist/songs come out kind of garbled, e.g. Björk becomes Bjvrk. That in itself is not a big problem. But when trying to move/delete these files/directories the problems arise as these files are not found by the name shown on the screen.

rm -r Bjvrk
no such file or directory

I suspect that this all starts with not having the right locale, otherwise the right name would have shown? Correct or not?

And if correct, is it a simple matter of setting the correct locale?

And another if, if that is the case, how do I set the right locale?
Logged

----------------------------------
I hope I didn't brain my damage!
Stokstaartje
Member
*
Posts: 36


« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 03:22:58 am »

Even more guessing:

Maybe it is not the locale, because I prefer having the english language as is. But maybe it is the character encoding: Do I need unicode support? utf-8? And how should I go about getting that installed?

Logged

----------------------------------
I hope I didn't brain my damage!
kukibl
Guest
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:37:01 am »

Well, if you want to keep US locale, but include utf-8 support do next:

-edit as root /etc/profile.d/lang.sh with your favourite editor

-comment this line with # sign

Code:
export LANG=en_US

-uncomment this line (a little below):

Code:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

That should solve problem for you. Wink

Else, you can set up locale for your language. Just type locale -a command, find line that suites your language and put it in edited file by replacing current setting. In example, for my language (Serbian) I would replace export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 with export LANG=sr_CS.utf8.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:40:44 am by kukibl » Logged
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian
****
Posts: 531


« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:31:53 pm »

Thanks.  I was looking for how the locale could be changed.
Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!