VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 04:39:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 4276 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: March 11, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »

Hello everyone.  I started using Linux a while ago when my Windows 95 machine started acting erratically.  So I bought a used P3 and began with Corel, then Mepis, SuSE, PCLOS, and Debian.  Now I've just bought another used computer, this time a P4, and am using Vector (#7, with XFCE).  I quite like it so far.  Looks great, and mounting of removable drives works well.

One issue though is the screen resolution.  I went with the default of 1024x768 during the install, but was given 800x600 instead.  Things are gaudy big right now, and the XFCE display option is not giving a choice to change this (perhaps "vasm" will work).  Also I did an upgrade with gslapt using the default repository choices of veclinux-7.0 package/patches/extras selected, and it gave two errors immediately (gimp and something else), and it broke inkscape:
Code:
vector:/~
mark:$ inkscape
inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: libMagick++.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mark:$

Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

I read somewhere that Vector was compatible with Slackware, and I was pleased to see that repositories were already included in gslapt.  So I enabled one of these and upgraded, which seemed to go smoothly.  However, it broke the system, so I won't do that again.  Good to have the Slackware option for the occasional package that I may require, though.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:48:52 pm »

Hi Mark and welcome to VL7.  You will like it here.

As to the problems you mention, they seem pretty unusual.  When you partitioned the hard drive, what size did you make your home partition?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »

I have a 40 Gig hard drive.  So, I made two partitions, the main one covering most of the drive with the root set at "/" and formatted with ext3, and I left 100 Mb for swap.  I'm not sure if this is correct, or if I should have done something else.  Is this something that could affect the resolution or the upgrade error I had?  Regarding partitioning, other distributions I've used have given a bit more guidance via providing a default option for partitioning rather than simply casting the user into gparted.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:12 am »

what version of inkscape you are using now?
open an terminal and go to /usr/lib, type ls -all | grep libMagick and show us the output Smiley
Joncho

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:15:53 am »

Hi,

i think the problem with inkscape is that after upgrade your software via gslapt you surely have the new version of imagemagick (6.7.4_9) so you no longer have libMagick++.so.4, but you now have libMagick++.so.5, this is solved easily with a symbolic link, just type in a terminal (as root):

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.5 /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.4

Then you should be able to run inkscape.

i had the same issue when upgraded imagemagick, just that my problem was libMagickWand.so.5 that is needed to run obex-data-server and this is used by blueman to copy files to/from my cel phone via bluetooth.

About your screen resolution problem, run xrandr command in a terminal and post the output, maybe you can post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (if you are using one), post your graphics card and monitor model too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:22:57 am by Joncho » Logged
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:57:29 am »

Hello.  Thank you for the responses.  I did fix the screen resolution issue with the vasm tool.  However, inkscape still won't start.  I am using version 10.0-i586-1vl70.  See below for my followup on your suggestions.

what version of inkscape you are using now?
open an terminal and go to /usr/lib, type ls -all | grep libMagick and show us the output Smiley

Code:
mark:$ ls -all | grep libMagick
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root     1992 Jan 25 04:01 libMagick++.la*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       20 Mar 12 13:23 libMagick++.so -> libMagick++.so.5.0.0*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       20 Mar 12 13:23 libMagick++.so.5 -> libMagick++.so.5.0.0*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root   424356 Jan 25 04:02 libMagick++.so.5.0.0*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root     1970 Jan 25 04:01 libMagickCore.la*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       22 Mar 12 13:23 libMagickCore.so -> libMagickCore.so.5.0.0*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       31 Mar 12 13:23 libMagickCore.so.4 -> /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.5.0.0*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       22 Mar 12 13:23 libMagickCore.so.5 -> libMagickCore.so.5.0.0*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  4525700 Jan 25 04:02 libMagickCore.so.5.0.0*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root     1996 Jan 25 04:01 libMagickWand.la*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       22 Mar 12 13:23 libMagickWand.so -> libMagickWand.so.5.0.0*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       22 Mar 12 13:23 libMagickWand.so.5 -> libMagickWand.so.5.0.0*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  1156892 Jan 25 04:02 libMagickWand.so.5.0.0*

Hi,

i think the problem with inkscape is that after upgrade your software via gslapt you surely have the new version of imagemagick (6.7.4_9) so you no longer have libMagick++.so.4, but you now have libMagick++.so.5, this is solved easily with a symbolic link, just type in a terminal (as root):

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.5 /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.4

Then you should be able to run inkscape.
Code:
vector://usr/lib
root:# ln -s /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.5 /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.4
root:# exit
exit
inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: libMagickWand.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mark:$

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:11 am »

Hi Mark and welcome to VL7.  You will like it here.

As to the problems you mention, they seem pretty unusual.  When you partitioned the hard drive, what size did you make your home partition?

I did some research (via good old duckduckgo.com), and discovered that the swap I had set was a bit low.  So, after borking my installation with a gparted LiveCD, I did a quick minimal install with Debian to get the partitioning right (swap now is about 1.7 G), and then reinstalled Vector (over Debian) with these partition settings.  Vector really should have some default options for partitioning, I feel.

Anyway, as mentioned in my previous post, I still got the same issues with screen resolution (which I have fixed) and with the upgrade after the installation (inkscape not working).

Joncho

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:04 am »

Hi Mark, if you look at the output of your console, you will notice that inkscape isn't looking for libMagick++.so.4 anymore, now your problem is libMagickWand.so.4 so just repeat the process, but this time make a symbolic link to libMagickWand.so.5:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libMagickWand.so.5 /usr/lib/libMagickWand.so.4

I know it could be annoying, but you probably will have to do the same for libMagickCore.so.5

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.5 /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.4

For your partitions:

You need a swap partition: 2 x RAM is usually adviced if your RAM is less than 1Gb (I don't think you need a big swap if you have at least 1Gb)

A root partition "/": At least 10Gb if you don't install a lot of programs, software in linux usually don't consume that much HD space, but if you plan to install many programs double or triple that (some 3D games can use a lot of HD).

I'd recommend a "/home" partition: so if you need to reinstall Vector or maybe upgrade it, you won't lose (or need to backup) you personal settings and files, it could really save you time if you need to reinstall.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:59:09 am by Joncho » Logged
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:44:07 am »

Hello Joncho.  Thanks, yes that did work.

Code:
vector://home/mark
root:# ln -s /usr/lib/libMagickWand.so.5 /usr/lib/libMagickWand.so.4
vector://home/mark
root:# exit
exit

Joncho

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:00:17 pm »

Hello Joncho.  Thanks, yes that did work.

I'm Glad  Grin
msx

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:27 pm »

No intention for necro-bumping, just passing-by to say THANK YOU as lately I've found myself in the same situation with Emacs24 that requires version 4 of ImageMagick libraries (under other OS).
Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:20:26 pm by msx » Logged
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 09:18:14 pm »

You're welcome.  Glad the thread was a help.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: