VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [solved] Thunderbird localization (either en-CA or en-GB)  (Read 1788 times)

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
[solved] Thunderbird localization (either en-CA or en-GB)
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »

I installed the thunderbird-langpack-en-GB version 3.1.7-i586-1vl70, which pulled in Thunderbird version 10.0-i586-1vl70.  However, the spelling was still US-english (IE, "favorite folder", or the date format of mm/dd/yy), and I couldn't find a way to change this.  So I tried installing Thunderbird version 3.1.7-i586-1vl70 first, and then the langpack, but it still came out as US-english.  I've subsequently upgraded again to version 10.0-i586-1vl70, and have not yet found a solution to changing the locale setting of Thunderbird.  I have edited /etc/profile.d/lang.sh replacing en-US with en-CA, which did change the language settings of some programs (IE, Abiword), but that did not affect Thunderbird.

Note, I’m not talking about the spell check.  I did get an extension for that -- Canadian dictionary -- which works.  Rather I’m talking about the spelling that’s on Thunderbird itself.  So, does anyone know how to get the package thunderbird-langpack-en-GB recognized by Thunderbird?  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:35:10 am by MarkGrieveson »
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
Re: Thunderbird localization (either en-CA or en-GB)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »

I did manage to fix this.  Since Vector Linux upgraded to Thunderbird version 11, I was able to get the en-GB language pack from here, which I installed similar to installing add-ons.  I then opened the config editor in Thunderbird (Preferences -> Advanced -> General), and searched for the entry general.useragent.locale and set its value to en-GB.  After restarting, the changes took place.

Since the developers have updated the thunderbird package, it might be a good idea to update the various language packs too.  Currently language packs are all version 3.1.7, rather than version 11 (so they don't work with version 11).
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Thunderbird localization (either en-CA or en-GB)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:47 pm »

The thunderbird language pack is freely be download from mozilla website so I don't think we need to maintain a package in the VL repo.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/latest/linux-i686/xpi/
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/latest/linux-x86_64/xpi/