VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 11:24:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to drive e1550 3G modem  (Read 1921 times)
vincent2
Vectorite

« on: March 06, 2012, 01:59:09 am »

Bonjour!

Now I've got a 3G modem for internet,here's system info

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:140c Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
but under wicd it isn't shown there,what tools for dialing up to 3G network under vectorlinux 7 gold and 64bit?now i'm running kernel 3.2.9.
hope vector linux will be user friendly to 3G/4G modem internet very soon.
Joncho

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28:12 am »

wicd is for managing wifi or ethernet conections, to make your modem work you can configure chestnut-dialer.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »

but how to configure chestnut dialer for 3G internet?where to set apn in chest nut?
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:29:47 am »

Bonjour!
After more thorough search on forum posts, Got the hints to dial to 3G network with chestnut dialer, so must log into as root, run chestnut-dialer under root(su), now every time log into root, run chestnutr dialer, 3G modem works fine under kernel 3.2.9 
Joncho

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:21 am »

Hello Vincent, sorry i didn't reply before to help you configure chestnut-dialer, i've been kind of busy.

You don't need to login as root everytime you want to use chestnut dialer, there are other ways:

OPTION #1:

just edit (as root) the /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop, find the following line:
Code:
Exec=chestnut-dialer
and change it for this:
Code:
Exec=/bin/vsuper chestnut-dialer

Now everytime you login on a non-root account and try to run chestnut-dialer VL will ask for your root, password.

OPTION #2:

There are other approaches to solve this, for example: I have a laptop that i sometimes lend to my sisters or my nephews so edited the /etc/sudoers file and gave the users group permission to run chestnut-dialer as root without a root password:

run in a terminal (as root):
Code:
visudo

scroll down to the end of file and press i key to enter insert mode, then insert a new line:

Code:
%users  ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/chestnut-dialer

press ESC key to exit insert mode, then write :wq and press ENTER key to exit visudo writing the changes to the sudoers file.

Now just edit (as root) the /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop, find the following line:
Code:
Exec=chestnut-dialer
and change it for this:
Code:
Exec=sudo chestnut-dialer

Now every user on this machine can run chestnut-dialer as root without a root user password.

There are more ways to accomplish this, but this worked for me, now if someone knows if there is any risk in letting a user run chestnut-dialer with root privileges... please don't let me misadvice Vincent.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:38:11 am by Joncho » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:21:55 pm »

do chestnut-dialer need root access to work?
Joncho

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:56 pm »

do chestnut-dialer need root access to work?

Not exactly chestnut-dialer, it is something about non-admin users being unable to do a ppp connection or something like that, i remember someone recommended me to give full privileges to users on the modem ("/dev/modem") or over pppd or something like that, but i never was able to get it right, so it was easier for me to run chestnut-dialer as root (something that never had to do with wvdial or kppp) but i always needed to run chestnut-dialer as root on every PC i've installed VL since 5.8 version.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: