VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 10:19:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: are there easier ways to start pppoe internet connection  (Read 1974 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: March 12, 2012, 04:02:54 pm »

Hello.  I have an ADSL modem/router, and I use pppoe.  I set up the connection via pppoe-setup.  So, now whenever I wish to connect, I have been logging in as root in the terminal, and running pppoe-start.  Is there an easier way to connect that doesn't involve logging in as root?  I see the wicd applet in the top panel, but I can't figure out how to set it up for my pppoe connection.  Anyway, if this or something else can be used, then do please let me know.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »

Bonjour!

please pulg in cable to your laptop or/desktop with modem/router,in opera typing 192.168.1.1/or 192.168.0.1, user:admin, password:admin,once enter router/modem admin interface, go to wan configure, enter your adsl pppoe user name and password, set it connect automatically,also enabling DHCP server there, then save the config....wait 10-20 sec. you'll be on internet automatically,
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried it but it didn't work.  It just said "Connecting..." forever.

I'm wondering too if there is a program/applet that will report the connection speed to me.  I tried one on Cairo-dock, but it wasn't that good.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:50 pm »

MarkFrieveson,

What brand/model is your ADSL modem/router?
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:17:06 pm »

It's an old one.  It's an OvisLink ADSL modem/router, model number OV711C.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »

It's an old one.  It's an OvisLink ADSL modem/router, model number OV711C.

Pls refer to the manual to configure auto dialing

http://www.ovislink.com/newovislink/Products/DSL_CABLEs/OV711C/OV711C_man.pdf
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:59 pm »

Here is a post I found on how to get pppoe-start to
work as  a normal user.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/pppoe-start-as-user-368226/

HTH

Bigpaws
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:14:39 am »

Thanks for the link on using sudo to address the issue.  Admittedly, I'd rather not have to screw around with the sudoers file.  I had thought that wicd already did that, but I guess not.

Speaking of wicd, it now sometimes will announce that a connection has been established.  Yet, when I open Firefox, I'm told that I'm not connected to the Internet.  It seems I'm only truly connected when I use the pppoe-start as root command.  Also, even if I press wicd's disconnect button, I'll still be connected if I had done so previously with pppoe-start.  wicd just seems to be on its own little planet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:16:43 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: