VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 11:46:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] Twinking the UI - Vector 6  (Read 1257 times)
Rime

« on: March 13, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »

So, with some luck I copied the IceGil Grey title/borders for the windows from ICE to XFCE for Vector 6 and I think[/b] it looks good (Well, I think I'll edit the title buttons after all...).  But now I'd like to tweak the rest of the UI to complement it, as I'm after a different style for scroll bars and buttons.  It also needs bright text or the inactive windows become impossible to read.  Doing a search on my hard drive for "gotchione" or "xfce-saltlake" doesn't turn up anything.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:20:33 am by Rime » Logged
Rime

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:34:17 am »

I did some horsing around in Vector 7.  Although I'm not up to using Qt, I think the Aerials style will work.  I think I'll import Aerials over to Vector 6, however, because I find the old 866 strains quite a bit with 7.  Or just do some horsing around with Flux
Rime

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:35:34 am »

The latest incarnation, and I'm quite happy with it.

I was tempted to throw it up on XFCE-look.org, but I was somewhat worried that I'd get flak even if I gave credit to the original author 
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:02:31 am »

The latest incarnation, and I'm quite happy with it.

I was tempted to throw it up on XFCE-look.org, but I was somewhat worried that I'd get flak even if I gave credit to the original author  
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; plus, I feel Linux is about sharing code and giving credit.  So I'd say post it.  It's a great job.  Perhaps the time display in the lower panel on the right could be darker instead of white, to contrast it with the light colour of the panel better.  The window borders look great. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:08:53 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Rime

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:30 pm »

Thanks for the comments, Mark, and I'll definitely work on that.  I'll play with the themerc file in my spare time for another week to see if I can't make the theme more complete. 
Rime

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:08 am »

Well, it wasn't met with flak, but indifference.  It's okay, though, I'm pretty happy with the result.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »

Wow.  that looks really nice

How do you install that in VL?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:18:11 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

Rime

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:19:18 am »

Wow.  that looks really nice

How do you install that in VL?
You can download the package and drop the unpacked folder in the .themes folder of your home folder, then pull up the Windows Manager Settings, it should be there in the list.  If you need the GTK styles, I can upload those as well as the defaults with XFCE were missing a bit something.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:08:32 am »

Yeah... I like the gtk styles.  That's what I'm looking for

Rime

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 05:11:18 pm »

Just uploaded them.  You can drop those also in your .themes folder and it should show up in the menu under the UI settings.  It's not too difficult to mess with the menu colors, but it can be time consuming to horse around with colors until it looks good to you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: