VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: add users to groups?  (Read 862 times)

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
add users to groups?
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:28:54 pm »

Hello.  Previously when I wanted to add a user to a group, I would use the "addgroup" command.  For instance, if I wanted to add user "doug" to the group "audio", I would type as root "addgroup doug audio".  However, the addgroup command does not seem to exist here.  Or in Slackware (I couldn't find it on slackfind.net, anyway).  So,  I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me as to how I add users to groups in this system.
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
Re: add users to groups?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:41 pm »

Nuts.  I definitely screwed up something.  I was trying to make it possible to set it up so that users who belonged to the group "staff" would have the right to install source programs in the /usr/local directory, thus keeping these programs separate from the slapt-packaged installed programs in the /usr/ directory (and making these programs relatively easy to get rid of if they did not come equipped with an uninstall script).  So, I recursively changed the group of /usr/local from root to staff, giving this group read and write privileges.  Then, I wanted to add my user "mark" to the group "staff".  However, the way I've done this on Debian did not work here (via "addgroup", see previous post).

I searched the net and found the command "usermod".  The instructions for it were almost incomprehensible to me, but I gave it a try anyway.  However, the result was somewhat bizarre and it certainly did not do what I was hoping it would do, that being to simply add my user to the group and let me work freely in the /usr/local directory.  Instead, it created a clone of my user, and added the clone to the group!  

I ran the following:
Code: [Select]
vector://home/mark/slackpacks/gscan2pdf
root:# usermod -a -G staff mark
vector://home/mark/slackpacks/gscan2pdf
root:# exit
exit
vector:/~/slackpacks/gscan2pdf
mark:$ groups
mark disk lp floppy audio video cdrom games slocate plugdev power netdev scanner users
mark:$ users
mark mark
mark:$ groups mark
mark : mark disk lp floppy audio video cdrom games slocate plugdev power netdev scanner users staff
mark:$ groups
mark disk lp floppy audio video cdrom games slocate plugdev power netdev scanner users
mark:$ groups mark
mark : mark disk lp floppy audio video cdrom games slocate plugdev power netdev scanner users staff
mark:$ ls
gscan2pdf-0.9.31-i686-3jsc.txz  gscan2pdf-0.9.32.tar.gz  gscan2pdf-1.0.1.tar.gz
gscan2pdf-0.9.31.tar.gz         gscan2pdf-1.0.0.tar.gz
mark:$ cp gscan2pdf-1.0.1.tar.gz /usr/local/src
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/src/gscan2pdf-1.0.1.tar.gz': Permission denied
mark:$ ls -l /usr/local/  
total 40
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Nov 24  1993 bin/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Nov 24  1993 etc/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Mar 13 12:42 games/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Mar 15  1994 include/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Nov 24  1993 info/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Mar 15  1994 lib/
drwxrwxr-x 22 root staff 4096 Jun  1  1994 man/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Nov 24  1993 sbin/
drwxrwxr-x  4 root staff 4096 Mar 13 12:36 share/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root staff 4096 Nov 24  1993 src/
I'm reminded of the movie Moon.

Anyway, from the above, apparently my clone could copy a file into /usr/local/src, but I cannot.  Maybe me and my clone will be merged if I reboot.  Here goes...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:14:14 pm by MarkGrieveson »

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:24:47 pm »

Well, I think rebooting solved it.  I can now freely work with the /usr/local directory.  However, the machine is still reporting two users named "mark".  Is this normal, or have I created a clone?  If I have created a clone, can I get rid of it?

Code: [Select]
root:# users
mark mark

pierce.jason

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:23:49 pm »

`man users`
users  -  print the user names of users currently logged in to the current host

This isn't listing valid usernames on the system, but rather instances of access to a username.

You can also do some user/group management from within vasm.
pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)