VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:14:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (SOLVED) PDF file association....  (Read 901 times)
ElEdwards

« on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »

How do I associate a PDF file with Acrobat Reader?  Right now, if I try to open a PDF, it opens with GIMP.
(Yes, I have installed Acrobat Reader.)

Thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:27:14 pm by ElEdwards » Logged
Joncho

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »

In your filemanager, right-click on a PDF file, in the contextual menu click on properties, there should be an "open with..." option and a list of suitable aplications, just pick acrobat reader, apply changes, enjoy.
ElEdwards

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »

I tried that but all that shows is Gimp and Open with Other Program....
when I click on Other, it takes me to my Home folder.

So I did something different..... I opened Thunar, single-clicked on my PDF, then went to File>>Properties and found Acrobat Reader in the dropdown.

Works Smiley

Thanks.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:39:31 pm »

Glad you worked it out.

all that shows is Gimp and Open with Other Program....
when I click on Other, it takes me to my Home folder.

For finding programs to select when they're not listed, generally you can find them in the /usr/bin directory (not sure if this is the case with acrobat reader, known in Linux as acroread, or not).  Besides acrobat reader, there's a program called ePDFviewer (located in the menu in the section "Office", with the executable at /usr/bin/epdfview) that can be used.

But yes, I too had the experience of Thunar automatically opening pdf files with Gimp.  I don't know if the developers could change that to have Thunar recognize ePDFviewer as the appropriate program right from the get go, but if they could that would certainly be a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:41:33 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: