VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: (SOLVED) PDF file association....  (Read 1083 times)

ElEdwards

(SOLVED) PDF file association....
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »

How do I associate a PDF file with Acrobat Reader?  Right now, if I try to open a PDF, it opens with GIMP.
(Yes, I have installed Acrobat Reader.)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:27:14 pm by ElEdwards »

Joncho

Re: PDF file association....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:35 pm »

In your filemanager, right-click on a PDF file, in the contextual menu click on properties, there should be an "open with..." option and a list of suitable aplications, just pick acrobat reader, apply changes, enjoy.

ElEdwards

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:26:42 pm »

I tried that but all that shows is Gimp and Open with Other Program....
when I click on Other, it takes me to my Home folder.

So I did something different..... I opened Thunar, single-clicked on my PDF, then went to File>>Properties and found Acrobat Reader in the dropdown.

Works :)

Thanks.

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:39:31 pm »

Glad you worked it out.

all that shows is Gimp and Open with Other Program....
when I click on Other, it takes me to my Home folder.

For finding programs to select when they're not listed, generally you can find them in the /usr/bin directory (not sure if this is the case with acrobat reader, known in Linux as acroread, or not).  Besides acrobat reader, there's a program called ePDFviewer (located in the menu in the section "Office", with the executable at /usr/bin/epdfview) that can be used.

But yes, I too had the experience of Thunar automatically opening pdf files with Gimp.  I don't know if the developers could change that to have Thunar recognize ePDFviewer as the appropriate program right from the get go, but if they could that would certainly be a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:41:33 pm by MarkGrieveson »
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE