Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: (SOLVED) PDF file association....  (Read 1061 times)

ElEdwards

(SOLVED) PDF file association....
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »
How do I associate a PDF file with Acrobat Reader?  Right now, if I try to open a PDF, it opens with GIMP.
(Yes, I have installed Acrobat Reader.)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:27:14 pm by ElEdwards »

Joncho

Re: PDF file association....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
In your filemanager, right-click on a PDF file, in the contextual menu click on properties, there should be an "open with..." option and a list of suitable aplications, just pick acrobat reader, apply changes, enjoy.

ElEdwards

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
I tried that but all that shows is Gimp and Open with Other Program....
when I click on Other, it takes me to my Home folder.

So I did something different..... I opened Thunar, single-clicked on my PDF, then went to File>>Properties and found Acrobat Reader in the dropdown.

Works :)

Thanks.

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:39:31 pm »
Glad you worked it out.

all that shows is Gimp and Open with Other Program....
when I click on Other, it takes me to my Home folder.

For finding programs to select when they're not listed, generally you can find them in the /usr/bin directory (not sure if this is the case with acrobat reader, known in Linux as acroread, or not).  Besides acrobat reader, there's a program called ePDFviewer (located in the menu in the section "Office", with the executable at /usr/bin/epdfview) that can be used.

But yes, I too had the experience of Thunar automatically opening pdf files with Gimp.  I don't know if the developers could change that to have Thunar recognize ePDFviewer as the appropriate program right from the get go, but if they could that would certainly be a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:41:33 pm by MarkGrieveson »
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE