VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 11:32:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install the latest OpenOffice.org  (Read 2655 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: March 15, 2012, 01:07:26 am »

Hello.  I wanted to get the latest British version of OpenOffice.org (available at the time of this writing, with other versions as well, at http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html.   Initially I just downloaded it, and ran the set-up program provided.  This seemed to work, but I couldn't start it -- there were no menu items, and the file "soffice" had not been created ("soffice" being the command that starts it).  So, this was a failure.

What did work was to download the the Linux Intel RPM version (available at openoffice.org/download), decompress it, find the RPMS directory, and convert every rpm file in this directory into a tgz file.  It's best to just move all these files into one directory, and then with a terminal go into the directory and run the command rpm2tgz *.rpm.  Then within this directory remove all the rpm files with rm *.rpm.  Now you will be left with just tgz files, all in the same directory.  So, install these as root with the command installpkg *.tgz.  Now, OpenOffice.org will be installed, and you should see the menus for it (listed under Menu/Office).  Also, pressing Alt+F2, and entering "soffice" will bring it up.

Make sure java is working by going to Tools/Options/java.  If you see nothing listed, press your mouse in the space, and it should list the java that is installed on your machine (make sure via Gslapt you have jre installed (as of this writing, it's version 7u3-i586-1vl70).  If you see it, select it.  Restart OpenOffice.org, and java should work.  The OpenOffice.org download may come with its own jre package.  If when checking Gslapt you notice that you have two jre packages installed, it may be a good idea to remove the earlier one.

To recap:
  • Download and decompress the OOo (rpm brand) file of your choice from http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
  • Find the RPMS directory and put all the rpm files from here in one directory (note:  within this directory there is another directory entitled "desktop-integration" which has some additional rpms that also need to be installed), and convert all of them to tgz files in one swoop with the command "rpm2tgz *.rpm"
  • remove the rpm files from the directory, leaving only the tgz files, and in one swoop, install all of them with the command "installpkg *.tgz"
  • install the Vector jre package (currently 7u3-i586-1vl70), and then check to make sure java is working in OpenOffice.org by checking Tools/Options/java from the OOo menu.  Check "use a java runtime environment" box there.  The installed java should appear in the area there for you to select (if not, just click the area with your mouse, and then it should appear).  Restart OOo

PS, As of June 2012, the most recent version of OOo is 3.4.  But the language choices given with this newest version are limited.  So, if your desired language is not available in the most recent release, then possibly you could find your desired language in a relatively recent release from http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/localized/.  The recent jre (currently 7u3-i586-1vl70) does work with OOo 3.4.  
PPS, if you're upgrading from an older release, you may have to remove your user directory, which is the hidden file at /home/user/.openoffice.org/3/user, to get dictionaries working properly.  Also, first remove the older OOo release you have installed.  Use a terminal and, as root, go to the directory where you have the tgz files from a previous installation of OOo, and run the command "removepkg *.tgz" on them.  Then install the newer OOo as described above.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:37:03 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »

Thanks Mark,

I tried it and think I followed your directions.  Openoffice did not show up in the menu, but I did start it with soffice.  I then checked the jre and that was fine.  And then it seemed to disappear.  I wasn't paying great attention but it would not load again.  "soffice" was not recognized.  So I uninstalled removepkg *.tgz in the rpms special directory and installed again and it still won't start or show in the menu.

Perhaps because I removed the hidden openoffice file in home directory. Perhaps because I deleted abiword and libreoffice after your openoffice worked the first time.  God only knows.  Ergo my handle.

I had 3.3 installed earlier from slackbuilds and that seemed to work so I guess I will go back to that.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Chris530

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »

John - why not get the newest openoffice rpm then  edit your SlackBuild to reflect the proper version then see if it created the pkg?

Ehhh just googled a bit - nevermind!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:06:38 pm by Chris530 » Logged
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:59:51 pm »

Thanks Mark,

I tried it and think I followed your directions.  Openoffice did not show up in the menu, but I did start it with soffice.

Sorry to hear it didn't work.  Admittedly, I had some problems as well, but eventually it did work.  I notice you say it did not have menus.  I'm wondering if you installed all the packages.  There should be 48 rpm packages in total, which after conversion resulted in 48 tgz packages.  After decompressing the downloaded tar.gz file from the openoffice.org site, I found three directories:  1.) licenses  2.) readmes  3.) RPMS.  The only directory here that's important is the third, "RPMS".  Within this directory, you'll find 44 rpm packages, and a directory entitled "desktop-integration".  There are four additional rpm files in the "desktop-integration" directory.  So, to get menus, make sure to convert and install these also.  Thus, in total, 48 tgz packages should be installed to get the OpenOffice.org suite going.  A similar procedure would work for LibreOffice as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:33:49 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:36:01 am »

Mark,

My mistake.  I had not included the rpms from the "desktop-integration" folder.  I included them (after converting to tgz) this morning and OO3.4.1 works perfectly.  Menus and all.

Thanks again!

John
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:38:15 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: