VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 05:49:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compiling VirtualBox-4.1.4 and Modules and other migration issues.  (Read 2704 times)
wa7qzr

« on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:41 pm »

Hello!

I'm seriously considering migrating my openSUSE-11.4, Mandriva-2010.2 and Magia-1 systems to VL-7. So far, VL-7 does everything I'm doing with the aforementioned distros ... except for VirtualBox (and Tweetdeck but since it only installs on RPM-based distros and there are alternatives, it's not really a big deal).

You've got Compiz w/Emerald too! Cairo-dock. Xfce! All working out of the box (which is really a strange experience for me). I usually spend hours and hours compiling the stuff I use. Really, it's like someone was reading my mind. I've installed it on a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop w/an Atheros WiFi card. The only thing that doesn't work right is that fake mouse wheel on the right-side of the touchpad, but I know how to use the buttons, so it's not that big a deal. Other than that, it just worked. Really nice. In fact, I'm composing this post using it.

Concerning VirtualBox,  I'm running v4.1.4 on Mandriva and it's a dealbreaker for total migration, if I can't get it running on VL-7. I couldn't find it in the repos so I thought I'd give compiling it a shot.

I collected the bits and pieces necessary to get it to compile (mostly - no errors (issues w/Pam) fatal enough to abort the compilation, at least), and I was wondering if there's a HOWTO for this available (I can't seem to locate much on it for anything newer than VL-5.8, and then it's for v1.4)

I had an issue before, that is, someone told me where to find it in the VL-7 repos, I was trying to compile sword-1.6.2 for use w/Bibletime. Thing was, about half way through the job, the compiler blew-up, complaining about not being able to compile CLucene because a whole bunch of things in the std C library were "not available". It made no sense to me, especially since the compiler was able to compile itself. I suppose there's a missing link somewhere (isn't there always <g>).

A suggestion for a package to be included would be Screenlets. It installs and runs great with only four, I think, additional python modules to install. I prefer that over SuperKaramba, which, besides needing KDE to work, was another one of those things that just never quite worked right, and Gnome's gDesklets, which are, to me, way too busy and not all that nice to look at. Each to their own, I guess.

One more thing. Has anyone built a dual-head box w/Nvidia cards? Are Nvidia drivers used or that awful, broken Nouveau thing, that has never worked for me, regardless of distro I've tried?

Well, thanks for reading. I'll most likely migrate my laptops to VL-7 as all their prerequisites are met already, but I'd sure like to get, at least, that Mandriva box migrated since Mandriva's abandoned the version I'm using.

Best to all,

Mike
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:43:48 pm »

I just use the binary on the Virtualbox website.  Made this video some time ago, but all steps should be the same for the newest version.

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1/?p=118

P.S I think it was me that mentioned sword 1.6.2 was in testing, when you posted about it on twitter.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
wa7qzr

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:15:04 pm »

HI again,

I took your suggestion and VirtualBox, which is now at v4.1.10, for all flavors of Linux apparently, installed like it wanted to. Worked as I expected it to, so that's refreshing.

And yes, I recognize your domain name from seeing it on Twitter. Thanks again for your help with that.

Best regards,

Mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: