VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:38:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with touchpad and VL 7  (Read 1999 times)
Sonic

« on: March 17, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »

Hi all,

I just installed VL 7 on my notebook (HP 550). I love the look and feel!
However, I have a problem with my touchpad.
First of all the wheel doesn't work. The area where the mouse wheel should be is behaving just like the rest of the touchpad.
The second is a problem with the behavior when I'm tapping the touchpad. It is reacting so I can open programs or do similar things, but if I want to hold down the "mouse button" it will not work. It is like I just push a mouse button once and release it immediately. So I can't move the scroll bar in firefox by holding down the "mouse button" (tapping the touchpad and holding it), just for an example.

Does someone know a solution for these problems? I really want to keep VL 7 on my notebook but the problem with the touchpad gets annoying.
By the way, while the installation/configuration I was asked if I want to use the touchpad driver and I said yes. I also already tried to reconfigure the mouse with VASM, no success so far. It would be really great if someone could tell me a solution for the problems...

-Sonic
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:25:16 pm »

I am no help.  Sorry.  Except I will note that on my samsung laptop I have similar problems.  So I will watch this thread with care.  I have tried to turn off tapping for months, with no success.  So eventually I disabled the touchpad in bios and just carry a wireless mouse with me.  Has to do with synaptic this or synaptic that. 

I hope you have better luck than I.  My last computer was an HP and eventually I got the touchpad working on VL 6.

Again, good luck.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:42:08 pm »

The touchpad part of the xorg configurator was written for VL6 and may not be appropriate for VL7.
See if the driver is loaded; in a terminal use command:
Code:
synclient -l
and post the output here.
Sonic

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:02:12 pm »

This is what I get:
Code:
synclient -l
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?
So it looks like the driver isn't loaded. What to do now? Thanks for the replies so far  Smiley
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:50:13 pm »

On my own laptop, running VL7 Light, I have no xorg.conf. The touchpad was automatically detected and the driver loaded.

How about trying to boot to TUI as root, then try:
Code:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.0
startx
then try again and see if it makes any difference.

To revert back to your original configuration:
Code:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.0 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Sonic

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:34:17 pm »

That helped, thanks a lot. Now the mouse wheel works like it should. Smiley
However, it feels like my mouse became slower/less responsive now, especially when I move it up and down (but not from side to side). It feels like it has a little delay... maybe I can do something in the settings.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:36:07 pm by Sonic » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »

If you now have the driver loaded (evidenced by output from the synclient command), you have a long list of options available to you. Here's a good resource: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: