VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 11:24:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] I can't access my computer's BIOS.  (Read 3035 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: March 17, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »

I am unable to get to my computers BIOS. Having said that I used to be able to get to my computer's BIOS  by pressing the DELETE key soon after first turning my computer on or restarting it, but now whenever I turn it on or reboot it, I get a message saying that it can't find a keyboard, and yet I an still able to use the keyboard when the login screen apprars, How to I get my computer to recognize the keyboard again BEFORE Linux is loaded? I have a P5QPL-VM EPU motherbord.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:26:07 pm by Locator » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:34:50 pm »

Did you use to have a PS/2 keyboard, and replace it with a USB one?
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:51:01 am »

I have always had a PS/2 keyboard - in fact, that is what I am using right now.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:07:15 am »

If you have another kb, it's worth trying that one.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:08:34 am »

And are you sure the PS/2 keyboard is plugged in to the right socket?  It will fit in the mouse socket too and the OS will pick it up just fine.  I think I remember doing that once.

TLM

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:25 am »

You could try removing your CMOS battery from your motherboard for a few minutes, and then putting it back in. This will usually invoke the PC into telling you about it the next time you boot up, and will also give you the option to enter setup (BIOS). However only do this if you are thoroughly familiar with how to set your BIOS up, since removing the battery will set everything back to defaults, including the BIOS date and time.

Also, have you tried the Delete key after booting to see if it works in the OS? There is a small chance that the Delete key itself may have gone bad. Just find some text in a word file somewhere and highlight it and press Delete to see if it erases it. You may have to create a test word file with a text editor of Office program just to use for testing purposes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:36:41 am by TLM » Logged

Particle board should be outlawed.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »

And are you sure the PS/2 keyboard is plugged in to the right socket?  It will fit in the mouse socket too and the OS will pick it up just fine.  I think I remember doing that once.

I discovered, much to my own chagrin, that it was not - so Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: