LILO 23.2 is out there in a .gz download. I have it somewhere. I will have to look and see where i downloaded it from. But i do not know exactly how to get it installed onto VL. Here is a change log for LILO 23.2https://alioth.debian.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=1670
Apparently the part where they changed MAX_SETUPSECS from 31 to 63 is the part that fixes the error message i am getting with the newer kernels. Here is the changelog:
Changes for version 23.2 (09-Apr-2011) - Joachim Wiedorn
- Optimize documentation generation and information.
- Reformatting mkrescue.8 manpage. (thanks to Martin E. Schauer)
- Update of lilo.conf.5 manpage and remove of OS/2 information.
- Remove obsolete BIOS workaround from 2002 (src/second.S)
- Add information about -H option. (src/lilo.c)
- Save errno for second command. (src/device.c)
- Fix missleading error message. (src/geometry.c)
- Remove obsolete OS/2 code. (src/boot.c, src/temp.c) - Enlarge maximum number of sectors (MAX_SETUPSECS) for
kernel setup code to 63. (src/bootsect.S, src/lilo.h)
- Fix for many small flaws in source code. (Many thanks to
Solar Designer and Vasiliy Kulikov of the openwall project).
- Remove obsolete OS/2 code. (make.vars, src/Makefile)
- Optimize Makefile and src/Makefile for use of $(MAKE).
- Use mktemp utility for floppy image generation in mkrescue.
(Many thanks to Solar Designer and Vasiliy Kulikov of the
- Add new scripts with Makefile (already used for Debian):
* liloconfig (for creating new lilo.conf)
* lilo-uuid-diskid (convert device names to UUID/DiskID)