VectorLinux
December 17, 2014, 09:12:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New LILO version needed for recent kernel compatibilty  (Read 5837 times)
TLM

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:02 am »

I do not need a timer. Just from booting from both GRUB and LILO hundreds of times, i can tell that LILO is faster.

Particle board should be outlawed.
TLM

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:19 am »

Another issue i have with GRUB is that is messes up my splash screens of other distros after installing proprietary video drivers on those distros. Example:

I install ZorinOS. GRUB works fine and ZorinOS splash screen works. Now, i then install the proprietary Nvidia driver for my card in ZorinOS. After this, GRUB shows an ugly blue and white progress bar near the bottom of my screen instead of the ZorinOS splash. LILO, however, has no problem with displaying the ZorinOS splash in any instance. This splash screen occurs with other distros as well.

Sigh, i really think that according to my research, that LILO 23.2 would fix all of this, however i lack the skills to actually install it it on VL. Not sure if any other distros are still using LILO or not. Its in the repos for PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu, but i need to check the versions.

I would gladly use GRUB in order to boot the newer Linux kernels, if i could resolve the splash screen issue. I can wait a few extra seconds for boot times, no worries.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 10:35:11 am »

Interesting discussion, but I think we're overlooking the fact that the 23.2 version of lilo is in our repository:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/packages/a/lilo-23.2-i586-1vl70.txz
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »

At any rate, a newer version of LILO exists, and if it did not create a large headache in the way of dependencies, then why shouldn't it be included in the next release of VL?

I didn't see it before, either, but apparently it's not too large a headache; it's now in the 32-bit repo. And it ships with the new Light.

@nightflier:
I'm even less familiar with grub than you are, but perhaps there's some setting that would speed grub up like "compact" does for lilo.

Fact is, both are needed. Both are better for those already familiar. Grub is what's likely to be "imported" from other OS installations, and due to larger developer and user bases is quicker to get fixes, patches, and new features. Lilo will still go in some small places that Grub2 won't, and shows signs of expanding its versatility thanks to somewhat recent new development. Rather than thinking about dumping a bootloader, what about adding one more (repo only, not in distro) that's designed without a specific OS in mind? Grub's getting closer here, but really a different point of view would be nice.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:37:42 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
TLM

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 08:39:40 pm »

Interesting discussion, but I think we're overlooking the fact that the 23.2 version of lilo is in our repository:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/packages/a/lilo-23.2-i586-1vl70.txz

Interesting! I will have to install a VL7 (currently using VL6 SOHO) and see how the new LILO works. According to my Google searches, the error msg i originally referenced in my first post of this thread has been resolved in LILO 23.2

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 04:46:45 am »

When these kinds of exchanges are objective, they can be very productive.  Smiley

Frankly, I am not emotionally attached to any boot loader. I want my OS, ASAP. This got me thinking if there may be ways of speeding up grub. Apparently, there is a "profile" option, but I could not see any difference after following the guides for that.

One thing I did notice, is that most of the grub2 guides seem to be written for Debian/Ubuntu, which assume the presence of the "update-grub" or "update-grub2" script. This only launches "grub-mkconfig" with default options. VL does not use any of those files. No big deal when you know how this works, but I can see it being a stumbling block for someone.

Maybe someone more familiar with grub could look into this and see if we can get rid of that delay.

At least, I got one good thing out of this exercise: my scrolling wall of text is back when using grub!  Grin
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 05:26:12 am »

@TLM: I re-packaged the VL7 lilo package to tgz format and tested it on VL6. Seems to work just fine.

If you want to try it, download from here:
http://cincibjj.com/tmp/lilo-23.2-i586-1vl70.tgz
then, as root, upgrade your old version with command:
Code:
upgradepkg /type/path/to/lilo-23.2-i586-1vl70.tgz
You can also use the "installpkg" command.
TLM

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 07:56:07 am »

@TLM: I re-packaged the VL7 lilo package to tgz format and tested it on VL6. Seems to work just fine.

Code:
Thanks! I will try it and post back. It will take me some time however. I erased Viperr (the distro with the kernel LILO did not like), so i will need to set up some new partitions and install Viperr again, after which time i will install the new LILO on my current installation of VL 6 SOHO. Then i will have everything in place to see if LILO 23.2 corrects the problem. I also am thinking of putting VL7 Light on another partition, and it is my understanding that it has LILO 23.2 as well. I will post back how everything works out. Thanks again.

TLM

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »

Code:
Have successfully updated LILO in VL6 SOHO. Verified version 23.2 using the lilo -v command. Rebooted a few times and all my current OSes still boot. Next i need to  make a new partition and reinstall a distro with a newer kernel and see if i can then add it to LILO.

TLM

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 07:56:32 pm »

Success! LILO 23.2 on VL 6 no longer returns the error mentioned in the first post of this thread. I added Viperr (a Fedora derivative) manually. Only had one small issue: Viperr did not have an initrd, but rather had a initramfs. I pointed the initrd line in LILO toward this, and booting into Viperr resulted in kernel panic, keyboard flashing, hard power off required. I then booted into VL and totally removed the initrd line for Viperr, and Success!! Viperr now boots from LILO, correct splash and everything. Additionally, the LILO 23.2 package created by nightflier places a nice lilo.conf example in /etc, which is very informative about configuring LILO. To sum it all up, LILO is alive and well and capable.

BTW, maybe that LILO 23.2 package should be put in the VL 6 repo. That way if anyone else has this problem, all they will need to do is update LILO via Gslapt.

I have not tested whether or not the new LILO will autodetect the newer kernels, however, i will create another partitions and install VL7 Lite, which has the the newer LILO. I will then see during installation if it sees my Viperr installation. I will post this information back when i have completed the task.

Again, many appreciative Thanks to all who have helped on this issue. Smiley

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »

Thanks to you for posting these results.  Smiley

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
TLM

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »

Just installed VL7 Light, and here are my observations:

Does NOT detect Debian or Fedora distros during LILO setup (text installer never has; no graphical installer on VL Light)

VL7 Light DOES have the newer version of LILO (23.2) (and Linux kernel 3xxx too)
VL7 Light DOES allow the manual additions of Debian, Fedora, and other latest kernel distros.

Overall not bad. I was afraid that my favorite bootloader was no longer an option with the newer kernels, however i can happily say that this forum thread has revealed that i will most likely be able to continue using LILO for the next several years.  Smiley

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 08:00:20 am »

Good deal. In the past I have used a little hack that helped the detection of Debian distros: make a symlink in /boot called vmlinuz pointing to the kernel.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: