VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 09:36:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer freezes? Running Live DVDs - not only VL (off topic? I'm not sure)  (Read 932 times)
topaz-2012

« on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:36 am »

Hello again all,

I'm STILL waiting for my hard drive to arrive. Presently I am still running from Live DVDs only. Running a Thinkpad R51 that I just bought on ebay. 2GB Ram, 1.6 processor, etc.

Occasionally, whether running VL or another distro via Live DVD, the computer will "Freeze." The fan will continue to run, but the entire screen just freezes and the trackpad / cursor won't move.  (Is this what they call a kernel panic, or is that something else?)

I've read stuff about having the latest kernel, but I don't really know what that means. Is that something that is flashed onto the hardware inside the system, or is that something simply installed with the hard drive (when I get one)?

Could this be related to running from Live DVD too much?

Thoughts on what this might be?  Can I resolve it?  Might it simply go away once my HDD arrives?

My background is 15 yrs + of mac - and this Thinkpad is my first foray outside of apple in all that time.

Thanks in advance.
topaz-2012

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:33:09 am »

UPDATE:

While waiting for an answer, my new HDD was delivered. Should I go ahead and install it? Or should I try to iron out this problem first?

(Also - does anyone know if I'm supposed to remove the "paper" that is attached to the new HD Caddy? There's a piece of shiny / slippery paper stuck to the bottom of the caddy.)

Thanks.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:36 am »

Hard to say if the symptoms will be the same on an installed system, but when running Live you do risk running out of memory, and storage (which is in memory too). On an installed system, your swap will help prevent such a condition.

I'd say install the HDD and go from there. If the shiny paper is stuck to the caddy, it's probably intended to stay.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:07:30 am »

I would go ahead and try installing it.  You may also consider running a memtest86 complete set of tests on your ram to make sure you dont have defective ram modules.  

topaz-2012

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:34:33 am »

Thanks Nightflier. I'll go ahead and install.

I'm sorry to be a pest - but I'm a little baffled by the caddy. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I found videos that demonstrate how to put the HDD and caddy into the computer. I feel comfortable with that.

But I can NOT find anything that demonstrates the more basic info about how to properlyattach the HDD to the  caddy BEFORE installing it. (I know this sounds really dumb - but it came without caddy and HDD so I never witnessed how they go together.)

THINGS I DISCOVERED:
I found out that the face of the HD will actually face downward when installed. (It faces up in the caddy, but down in the computer)
I gather, of course, that the prongs insert into the computer body (Smart or what?)
I got the HDD to line up right in the caddy - and the screws went in easy.

WHAT I DON'T KNOW:
- Inside the plastic caddy cover is a plastic bit that seems designed to not allow the back of the HD to actually go inside of the cover. I feel foolish admitting that I can't figure out how this caddy cover is supposed to attach to the HDD and the caddy plate.

Does anyone have suggestions? I could go join the thinkpad forum if all else fails. I've scoured the internet for example pics but found none on this exact issue.

PS: Thanks M0E-lnx - I'll do that when I get this HDD sorted. Good idea.
topaz-2012

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:10:49 am »

PS: My Caddy looks exactly like this:

http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store/buypart/IBM_Thinkpad_R51/NL016586

And this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320831018753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:14:23 am by topaz-2012 » Logged
topaz-2012

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:06 am »

I posted for help on the thinkpad forum. Cross your fingers.
topaz-2012

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »

Good news - the folks at the Thinkpad forum helped me get my HD in the caddy and in the computer. Yay!

Now I'm ready to format the drive, make some partitions and then install Vector for the first time.

I found the Disk Utility - and it is asking me to choose:
Master Boot Record
GUID Partition Table
Don't Partition
Apple Partition Map

Which one do I want?

I am thinking of making 1 20-gig partition and 1 10-gig (30GB Drive). I figure to put Vector on the 20 side. That will leave the 10 gig to play with other distros for a while.  Is that a reasonable idea?
topaz-2012

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »

Oh! I forgot to mention:

I ran the MemTest off the DVD. It found zero errors.
topaz-2012

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:32:33 pm »

Oh - nevermind - I think I figured it out. Cross your fingers that I don't mess it up.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: