VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 04:37:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 7.0 Light released.  (Read 90463 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: March 21, 2012, 06:11:52 am »

Vector Linux 7.0 Light is completed and released!
Thank you to all the developers, testers and contributors who made this possible.

The term "Light" is relative. This 4-in-1 version gives you the choice of several window managers, in progressively heavier configurations. These are layered on top of the VL 7.0 Standard base, so the expected libraries, toolkits, compilers and codecs remain available.

For those who want a starting point for their own customized desktop, there is the "Barebone" option. It is managed by the super-lightweight JWM, without much fluff. Netsurf, a small and speedy web browser, gives you access to the power of the Internet. Use the included build tools and package manager to download and install the programs of your choice. This configuration has been tested on a Pentium 3 with 128 MB of memory.

The next level up is "Light". If you have used VL6 Light, you will find it very familiar. IceWM and PCManFM-mod power the desktop without consuming a lot of resources. The window manager is "all manual", with extensive options for customization. Indicative of the lightweight applications included are Midori (web browser), Sylpheed (email), flburn (cdrom burning) and wicd (network management). Dynamic mounting of removable drives is accomplished using udev (no hal). This setup works well with 256 MB of RAM.

For more powerful computers, the "Medium" option is a good choice. This gives you the Openbox window manager, fbpanel with a dynamic menu, and PCManFM to handle the desktop and file management. Full size applications include Firefox 11, Abiword and Gnumeric. Samba is installed for those who need to share files with Windows computers. We recommend a 1 GHz or better CPU and 512 MB of RAM for this option.

At the high end you get the full LXDE software suite, on top of everything in "Medium". This desktop environment keeps up with the times, while maintaining a user interface that many of us have grown accustomed to over the years.

Known issues and recommendations:
The text installer is showing its age. You will see some warning messages flash by as you install. These are safe to ignore. It may appear to stall at 99%, that last percent includes configuration scripts and takes a while. Watch the hdd light for activity.

The auto-configuration of X is very good. Try running without an xorg.conf. If you need a manual setup on a laptop, you may get better results with the standard mouse driver, rather than choosing "enable touchpad".

Downloads:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-LIGHT.iso
md5sum: 8dda595365e1c9e244fc1c54b86ba0a6

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=16035.0

topaz-2012

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:22:21 pm »

Congratulations on this.  Smiley

Is it possible to run this as a Live CD or DVD?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:57 am »

There is no live version at this time. Such a project would either have to be split, because of the differences in the install options, or we'd pick one of the four and settle on that configuration.
saleem

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:15:56 am »

Nice release,

installed it and using it atm

do we have remaster script available and installed on it by default??

regards,
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:25 am »

No remaster scripts are included in this install-only version. That would be a part of a Live version though.
saleem

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:33:38 am »

thanks for the reply , so how can i install the remaster script ?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:52:52 am »

This is not part of the official repositories, but this is what our developers use:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/vl-live-tools-1.1-i586-1vl70.txz

It will create an iso which is a Live version of your installed system, and make you a member of the VL development team.  Grin
saleem

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:50 am »

thank you very much nightflier ,

I have used it on VL7 Live release and works like a charm

i have installed now and will try to make my own custom mini remaster once things are streamlined according to my taste.

regards
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 06:40:52 pm »

Congratulation Smiley
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:00:06 am »

Thanks it's running absolutely wonderfully on my older machine.
 Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 06:33:36 pm »

*fires a party cannon* Congratulations!!

Forever in a box
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 02:43:13 am »

Thanks it's running absolutely wonderfully on my older machine.
 Smiley

Running very well on mine too - I've just installed Seamonkey and Opera in it (I like to have several browsers available) and will soon install my favourite office suite (Softmaker Office 2008) as well.

Thanks for a fine effort to all who worked on it. Smiley
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 04:00:40 am »

We should get VL-Light a spot on the official download page.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:51:03 am »

Congratulations with this nice release.
downloading atm !

cheers

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std