VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 09:49:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio Codecs  (Read 1674 times)
slaptman

« on: March 24, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »

I am a noob to Vector,and have recently stop using Arch Linux and Debian distros.My question is I am trying to get VLC to play my audio from my Microphone but it doesn't play.I have tried it on xine and it works perfectly!So could someone please tell me what audio software i need for Vector.What are the recommended software for someone who edits video and audio. Huh
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:38:16 pm »

The usual recommendation if you're running 32-bit Vector Linux 7.0 would be to download the MultiMedia Bonus Disc (MMBD), which will give you everything you need.  All the packages are in the repository, of course, but this is one stop shopping Smiley  See: http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1/ The download link is on the right hand side near the top of the page.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
slaptman

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:53:44 pm »

Thank you very much...One question do I burn this to dvd and run it on reboot or do i have to reinstall all of Vector again?Sorry I am a noob and thank you for your patience. Embarrassed
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:56:23 pm »

You definitely don't have to reinstall.  It's just a convenient way of adding multimedia software to your existing installation.

BTW, I'm still not sure it will solve your problem with VLC.  VectorLinux generally includes all the codecs you need.  It may be a specific problem with the package for that particular media player.  OTOH, it will give you all the audio and video editing software you could possibly want.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 08:33:03 pm »

The multimedia bonus disk may not help you with your vlc problem. But it is cool to have.

It's never been tested against Vectorlinux-light as that is just out, so I don't recommend using it if you are on the OS.

If you are on Standard however, you can get it from here for free.

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/stretchedthin/MMBD/mmbdvl70std.iso

It does have devede on it, and I think you posted about that elsewhere.

For output control, in VLC go to tools >> Preferences, click on the Audio Icon, Select "ALSA audio output" as the Output module:, then you will be able to select from detected devices in a dropdown selection window.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
slaptman

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:35:34 pm »

I downloaded the MultiMedia Bonus Disc iso and burned it to dvd,but it did not work?Also VLC is now working after following your directions above.
I am using Vector Linux Light 7.0 openbox. Huh
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

What do you mean "it did not work"?  How are you launching it?  What errors did you get?  We need more information to be able to help you.

slaptman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 04:04:56 pm »

I install the standard version of VectorLinux.Everything is working now,and as for the DVD not working to install the extra software it works fine on standard version.On the light version of Vector the lock screen dont work,and trying to install software from cd/DVD dont work not to mention burning a disc image with brasero.Guake installs but does not work in the light version,but i guess they will make fixes for these later on.Thank you so much for everyones help.I am using the standard version and loving it.Also thank you for being patient with me .I have recommended Vector to many friends(Window Users) because this is the best forums compared to ubuntu and arch.

-Slaptman
slaptman

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:04:42 pm »

Wow!I just relized i need a video editor something like Adobe premiere!Does anyone know what the best and easiest video editor for linux is?I am good with gimp as my Image editor just need a Video Editor (:-|
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: