VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: installation failure  (Read 1291 times)

rkonrad

installation failure
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:37:28 pm »

Hi,

I'm new here.  I'm not a newbie nor do I consider myself an advanced linux user.  I have, however, installed at least a dozen linux distros on my system but here I am stumped. 

I've followed the installation procedures for VL 7 gold.  I'm using my usb external hard drive sdb1 for the installation with one partition mounted to "/" and also have a valid swap on sdb2.  I've chosen grub to go on the main boot record on my internal hard drive sda.  When I reboot, the vector linux splash screen hangs with the progress bar frozen.  What other information can I give you?  I was thinking my usb drive might be having trouble but perhaps others have experienced the same?

Richard

rkonrad

Re: installation failure
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »

Here is some more data:

I just bought a new usb hard drive (1.5 tb).  Once again, grub is installed on my MBR which is my internal hd (hda).  I checked for bad blocks on that drive and all is ok.  After a fresh installation, the results are the same.  So I loaded the cd and booted directly to the installation "root=/dev/sdb3 ro" (or something like that) and I got the following message(s)

Cannot open root device sdb3 or unknown block (0,0)...... kernel panic

Any thoughts??  I'm really stumped.

rkonrad

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »

Ok.  It seems the kernel is loading faster than my usb hard drive can be recognized so I added "rootdelay=10" at the prompt. It worked!  Question is:  how can i make this permanent?  I'm assuming that should be entered into a grub file - but which one?  Thanks in advance.

Richard

pierce.jason

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:04 pm »

Good question there about grub rkonrad!

I could tell you how to hack it into place, but my method of dealing with grub really isn't ideal ;)

There's a file somewhere in etc that you should place this in. That way it will be put back into place any time the grub menu is updated.

If you don't get a good answer here, then mark this thread as solved and open a new one about adding boot options to grub ;)
pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)