VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 01:57:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning an iso of new system setup  (Read 838 times)
Clinton_W

« on: March 27, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »

Hi all-

Toddler to Linux. Newborn to Vector (7.0 Gold ). I've finally got things the way I like ( after a couple false starts and screw ups- mine  Embarrassed ). Now, while things are fresh and shiny, I'd like to burn a restore iso. I only have a CD burner for this laptop ( DVD for RO ), and I'm guessing a backup iso is going to span more than one CD. So how to proceed??

Sorry if I missed the obvious post in my search.

Thanks in advance,
CW
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:14 pm »

You can try vmklive.

I made a tutorial on it close to two years ago. Create your own installable live CD with vmklive

The current version of it is here...http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/vl-live-tools-1.1-i586-1vl70.txz

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Clinton_W

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:21:56 pm »

Thanks! Downloaded the file and will see what I can do here. I'll let you know.
Clinton_W

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:33 am »

I've spent a couple of hours now trying to find info on how to use Gslapt. I don't want to appear to be such a newb, but I give up.

I downloaded the txz file ( twice in case there was a bad DL ), right click on it, open with other app, select Gslapt, select open. Gslapt then opens and the basic window is there, and it states "No package is selected." Cursor is flashing in the search box. Drag and drop doesn't work. Root terminal to install package ( followed the instructions from the FAQ?? ) says file doesn't exist or not found. Don't really remember now.

I am able to view the files within the archive using Xarchiver. Was I suppose to extract the files before trying Gslapt? I'm clearly missing something here. Seriously, I'm not dumb as a newt! Now all the newt lovers are going to flame me for sure! Wink

Any or all help is appreciated. Thanks.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:25:55 am »

In a terminal, as root, make sure you are in the same directory as the downloaded file;
Code:
installpkg vl-live-tools-1.1-i586-1vl70.txz

Hint: learn to use auto complete. In this example, type:
installpkg vl-li [Tab]
and watch it automagically fill in the rest.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:29:19 am »

Gslapt is for managing packages in our on-line repository. It's like what a huge company copied and made popular under the term "app store", was that way long before the big boys moved in.
Clinton_W

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:59:29 am »

nightflier-

Got it installed with the root command. The other instruction I saw for doing it by the command line included pointing to the file as part of the command. The solution was as simple as moving the file to the user folder/ directory. As to the Gslapt issue- I was attempting to follow the instructions in the video. Perhaps  I didn't follow correctly.

Thanks again. I'll give the program a try later.

Oh- automagic is cool!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: