VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 08:07:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning C on Linux  (Read 1467 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: March 30, 2012, 10:43:36 am »

In another post, rbistolfi turned me on to http://stackoverflow.com/tags/c/info which is an extremely active forum with lot's of questions and answers in most of the programming languages.  I narrowed the list down to C and still got a smattering of some of the others.  I usually scan trhough 3 or 4 screenfulls of questions posted today.

They also list several books at various levels of expertise.  I started reading (online) Zed A. Shaw's Learn C The Hard Way. This is a good tutorial for learning C programing.  I just wished I had this 20 years ago!  He is using GCC on a linux platform.  If you are familiar with Python or Ruby, he makes a few comparisons of some of the ideas he is working with.  I'm not familiar with either of those but it didn't detract me.

One of the early chapters had me install valgrind.  After downloading it, I had a heck of a time getting it installed.  One of my problems was that VL6 had run out of disk space.  I think I originally set aside 5G for it.  I wound up wiping out my VL6 and VL7 partitions and made them each about 10G.  (I haven't reinstalled VL7 yet as I needed to refresh myself with 6 after some absence.)

Most of the rest that he is dealing with, I already knew (Oh! Yeah!) but still picked up some good pointers as well as understanding why some things are the way they are.

After getting valgrind installed this morning, I've worked (or read) through 11 chapters. Only 44 more to go!  Shocked

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:27:06 am »

Awesome! I have had good luck with "Practical C Programming" from O'Reilly, recommended by my friend Christopher. But looks like you are already ahead of that one.
Remember you can always post a package request on this forum for stuff you want to run on your Vector box. One of the things I like so much about Vector is that it is a good learning environment.
Good luck and we are looking forward for your C software Smiley
Keep us updated

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: