VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 11:40:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello group.  (Read 996 times)
blacksignals

« on: March 28, 2012, 04:06:17 pm »

Hello Vectorians

Wow it's nice to check out this forum. I'm interested in this distro so I'm going to give it a try. I thought I would introduce myself first. I've a bit of a Red hat and Ubuntu background. I'm interested in doing a re spin of a Linux flavor for security purposes. My back ground is security and I'm in a good position to possibly make something work for me. I would like to keep it Canadian and that's why I'm here. Would this flavor be a good security dist? Any tips to get me started would be great. Would vector Linux be a good candidate for a re-spin?

Jinverar TSS,
www.blacksignals.com
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:12:35 pm by blacksignals » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:39:05 pm »

Welcome. Try VL and you will know it Smiley
Happy Vectoring...
VectorHead

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:44:38 am »

Hello blacksignals,

I'm a newly converted Vector Linux fan.  I have tried most versions of Linux (for desktop and server applications) that have been available over the past 7-8 years.  After using VL 7, I have decided that I'm going to stay here for awhile (probably for life).  The speed of the desktop environment is just impressive and I don't have time to be slowed down by a sluggish desktop. 

As you read around you will notice that Vector has it's origins in Slackware.  I have always found that it is easy to compile open source packages and configure them the way that I like with minimal trouble on either system.  The compilers and headers files to make things work are already installed.  Since Vector Linux is more of a "blank slate" than Slackware you only have the base system to contend with.  You could set up any software and configure it to your liking with minimal interference.  It is easy to understand the operating system architecture and would make a good version to make a derivation of. I have seen security distros based on Slackware so you will have some help already available as the packages should easily transfer over to Vector.

VectorHead

-- Vector Linux, because more of your CPU cycles should belong to you!

-- Vector Linux, because more of your CPU cycles should belong to you!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:09:27 am »

Vector Linux, because more of your CPU cycles should belong to you!
Like the quote.  Grin

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
blacksignals

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:25:45 pm »

Wow Thank you for the tips and I'm still sorting out the forum. I'll keep checking back to this one. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: