VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 11:10:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL not recognizing hard drive  (Read 611 times)
rkonrad

« on: April 03, 2012, 09:06:09 am »

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here - but here it goes...

After numerous unsuccessful attempts at installing VL7 on my external hard drive, I finally figured things out (another topic) but the MBR got rewritten numerous times.  The MBR is on internal hard drive, sda1 and now it is unrecognized by VL as well as other distributions.  The disk is healthy as I had previously checked it with "badblocks".  Running fidisk, i discovered that the file system type had changed to  NTFS to HPFS/NTFS/exFAT.  ALL my data is on this drive and I need to access it.  The exFat entry is probably not correct but I thought if I could enable the kernel to recognize this format, maybe I stand some chance of getting at the data. 
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:40 am »

two things here.  you speak of mbr and then you speak of sda1.  they are 2 completely different things.  you fan write thr mbr as many times as u want and you will not affect the data in sda1.  the mbr is the first 512 blocks of the drive, which is never touched by the os.  if you really did lose data, it was not by writing the mbr, but most likely formatting partitions or repartitioning.  at any rate, you should search for data recovery tools.   i have had some success in the past but cant remember what i used.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:36:23 am »

And right away: turn off computer and do not access drive! As M0E-lnx said, start researching rescue tools and live distros.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: