VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 01:41:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE 3.x Installation VL 7 Gold  (Read 1404 times)
VectorHead

« on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:33 am »

On a previous installation of VL 7 Gold, I mysteriously ended up with KDE 3.x and was surprised and happy.  When trying to instally KDE from glsapt I was only able to receive KDE 4.x and was not so happy.  I do not see an indication of which packages correlate to my favored version.

What packages do I need to get KDE 3.x running?

-- Vector Linux, because more of your CPU cycles should belong to you!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:36:58 am »

The easiest way to get KDE3 is to use packages from here:
http://slackware.osuosl.org/unsupported/kde-3.5.10-for-slack13.0/packages/
This is not an optimal solution though, as these are old, unsupported versions.

The future of KDE3 is with the Trinity project. We are working on building that suite, but it is a big undertaking. No guarantees that it will be a good fit for VL7.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:56 am »

Trinity packages for SW 13.1 can be found here:
http://trinity.blackmag.net/trinity/slackware/13.1/
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:39:49 pm »

The easiest way to get KDE3 is to use packages from here:
http://slackware.osuosl.org/unsupported/kde-3.5.10-for-slack13.0/packages/
This is not an optimal solution though, as these are old, unsupported versions.

The future of KDE3 is with the Trinity project. We are working on building that suite, but it is a big undertaking. No guarantees that it will be a good fit for VL7.

I just installed KDE3 using these packages, and so far, no issues.  For several months I've been running these same packages with Slackware 13.37 on my old laptop, with no issues.
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:07 pm »

Issues with Slackware KDE3 packages came up after I updated the repositories in gslapt to upgrade Gimp to version 2.8 (which, ironically, I found less desirable than version 2.6)   The menu changed and certain applications misfired.

Unless someone can tell me how to resolve this,  if I continue to use Vector 7, my choice seems to be between running  KDE3 and using Gslapt.  

Would running Trinity packages instad of original KDE3 resolve this?  Possibly.  The main difference between Trinity and native KDE3 packages is that KDE3 is built to not conflict with KDE4.  This means that Trinity's version of konsole is named "kde3-konsole.  I've always found the added prefix a bit of a bother, so I prefer the older packages, but it might avoid conflicts with whatever dependencies I initiated when I installed new packages.

I may try reinstalling with trinity packages, but I already know that the unsupported KDE3 packages still run beautifully with Slackware 13.37, and if I'm going to give up what I consider the primary advantage of Vector Linux, gslapt and the repositories, I might as well go full Slackware.  That's what I'm leaning toward now.  Or I might just stick with Vector and settle for XFCE.   I may prefer one Desktop environment over another, but when you get right down to it, all Desktop environments work.  Sometimes I think we spend way too much time thinking about and discussing where to put the buttons that launch the applications.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:19:15 pm by blackbelt_jones » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: