VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: strigi search with catfish  (Read 2820 times)

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
strigi search with catfish
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:32:00 pm »

I have catfish installed in thunar.  If I go to a directory and click on search, catfish pops up and I can search for files with find, locate and slocate.  However I can't search with strigi, though it was installed from the VL repository.  I think strigi might let me search for a string within a document.

When I type in "strigiclient" from the terminal the strigiclient daemon pops up but nothing seems to work and terminal shows the following error:

johwhi:$ strigiclient
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited", "Process /usr/bin/strigidaemon exited with status 2")
QDBusMessage(type=MethodCall, service="vandenoever.strigi", path="/search", interface="vandenoever.strigi", member="getStatus", signature="", contents=() )

Anyone have any thoughts as to what I need to do to start strigi indexing my hard drive?  I think it would work if I could do this.

John
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: strigi search with catfish
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:30:46 am »

what version of strigi you are using?

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:49:24 am »

0.7.7, but I tried ver 7.6 and got the same error.   This is what catfish says when I try to Find with Strigi: 

Fatal error, search was aborted
           Click hear to start the search daemon

However, clicking where indicated does nothing that I can notice.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:10:18 am »

can you try that again by running catfish from terminal and show me any message from the terminal...thanks

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:29:14 am »

On starting catfish 3.2 from the terminal by typing "catfish," it seems to load fine, but terminal says:

(catfish.pyc:29508): libglade-WARNING **: Error loading image: Failed to open file '/usr/share/catfish/catfish.svg': No such file or directory

(catfish.pyc:29508): libglade-WARNING **: could not convert string to type `GdkPixbuf' for property `icon'

My first post shows the error when typing "strigiclient" from terminal.  However, the strigi daemon pops up.  If I click on "edit filters" it brings up a screen.  If I type *.html in that screen, it takes it but nothing happens (no activity in terminal).  Same with add a directory, i.e. it brings up a thunar-like screen and allows me to add a directory, but nothing happens and no activity in terminal window.  If I client on "stop daemon" I get "Unknown backend type: clucene" in the terminal window.  However, clucene 2.3.3.4 and clucene core 0.9.21b are loaded from the repositories.

John

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »

I will try to rebuild clucene again...let u know when it is done :)

I have rebuild clucene...can you try to update it from http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/x86/ ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:11:21 am by hata_ph »

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:39:37 pm »

Thanks hata_ph.  I appreciate it.  It still does not work, however. Acts about the same as before.  I tried it several ways.  Still apparently does not see clucene. The error message produced on running strigiclient may be a little different.

"johwhi:$ strigiclient
/usr/share/themes/MurrinaBlue/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:83: Murrine configuration option "scrollbar_color" is no longer supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/MurrinaBlue/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:83: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited", "Process /usr/bin/strigidaemon exited with status 2")
QDBusMessage(type=MethodCall, service="vandenoever.strigi", path="/search", interface="vandenoever.strigi", member="getStatus", signature="", contents=() )
vector:/~/Documents/2747-Hoover
"

I am just trying to find a way to replace Google Desktop.  I need something a little better (or at least easier) than find or grep, which seem to take a long time.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:26:07 am »

sorry i have no idea about it :(

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 07:29:30 am »

Thanks again for the effort. There might be something else (other than catfish/strigi) in linux that could do what Google Desktop did, being to constantly index the harddrive (in the background), facilitating rapid search for words within a document.    I will keep my eye out.  Too bad Google abandoned its Desktop search engine.  I guess Google thought Desktop might encourage us to keep using our harddrives - something which goes against Google's cloud-based business model.  Win some.  Lose some.