VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 05:53:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: strigi search with catfish  (Read 2154 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »

I have catfish installed in thunar.  If I go to a directory and click on search, catfish pops up and I can search for files with find, locate and slocate.  However I can't search with strigi, though it was installed from the VL repository.  I think strigi might let me search for a string within a document.

When I type in "strigiclient" from the terminal the strigiclient daemon pops up but nothing seems to work and terminal shows the following error:

johwhi:$ strigiclient
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited", "Process /usr/bin/strigidaemon exited with status 2")
QDBusMessage(type=MethodCall, service="vandenoever.strigi", path="/search", interface="vandenoever.strigi", member="getStatus", signature="", contents=() )

Anyone have any thoughts as to what I need to do to start strigi indexing my hard drive?  I think it would work if I could do this.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:30:46 am »

what version of strigi you are using?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:49:24 am »

0.7.7, but I tried ver 7.6 and got the same error.   This is what catfish says when I try to Find with Strigi: 

Fatal error, search was aborted
           Click hear to start the search daemon

However, clicking where indicated does nothing that I can notice.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:10:18 am »

can you try that again by running catfish from terminal and show me any message from the terminal...thanks
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:29:14 am »

On starting catfish 3.2 from the terminal by typing "catfish," it seems to load fine, but terminal says:

(catfish.pyc:29508): libglade-WARNING **: Error loading image: Failed to open file '/usr/share/catfish/catfish.svg': No such file or directory

(catfish.pyc:29508): libglade-WARNING **: could not convert string to type `GdkPixbuf' for property `icon'

My first post shows the error when typing "strigiclient" from terminal.  However, the strigi daemon pops up.  If I click on "edit filters" it brings up a screen.  If I type *.html in that screen, it takes it but nothing happens (no activity in terminal).  Same with add a directory, i.e. it brings up a thunar-like screen and allows me to add a directory, but nothing happens and no activity in terminal window.  If I client on "stop daemon" I get "Unknown backend type: clucene" in the terminal window.  However, clucene 2.3.3.4 and clucene core 0.9.21b are loaded from the repositories.

John

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:51:25 pm »

I will try to rebuild clucene again...let u know when it is done Smiley

I have rebuild clucene...can you try to update it from http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/x86/ ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:11:21 am by hata_ph » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:39:37 pm »

Thanks hata_ph.  I appreciate it.  It still does not work, however. Acts about the same as before.  I tried it several ways.  Still apparently does not see clucene. The error message produced on running strigiclient may be a little different.

"johwhi:$ strigiclient
/usr/share/themes/MurrinaBlue/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:83: Murrine configuration option "scrollbar_color" is no longer supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/MurrinaBlue/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:83: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited", "Process /usr/bin/strigidaemon exited with status 2")
QDBusMessage(type=MethodCall, service="vandenoever.strigi", path="/search", interface="vandenoever.strigi", member="getStatus", signature="", contents=() )
vector:/~/Documents/2747-Hoover
"

I am just trying to find a way to replace Google Desktop.  I need something a little better (or at least easier) than find or grep, which seem to take a long time.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:26:07 am »

sorry i have no idea about it Sad
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:29:30 am »

Thanks again for the effort. There might be something else (other than catfish/strigi) in linux that could do what Google Desktop did, being to constantly index the harddrive (in the background), facilitating rapid search for words within a document.    I will keep my eye out.  Too bad Google abandoned its Desktop search engine.  I guess Google thought Desktop might encourage us to keep using our harddrives - something which goes against Google's cloud-based business model.  Win some.  Lose some. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: