VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 12:18:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: libX11.so.6 No such file or directory VL7 ilght [solved]  (Read 2158 times)
kole

« on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:34 am »

I am trying to install VL7 light on Piii 933 with 512 meg of memory, VL6 light is already running on it.
First problem happens after ALSA configuration when it reports: No X found so bailing. Later does not let me change password for root or to create new user with message "Change of password failed" or something very similar. After that it report installation as successful and asks for reboot. after reboot it goes trough run level configuration and asks for another reboot.
Once rebooted i loged in as root without password but below frequently used programs there is error message: xmodmap error while loading shared libraries libX11.so.6 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
If i try startx ige fewt:xauth error while loading shared libraries libXext.so.6 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory and xint error while loading shared libraries libX11t.so.6 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory messages.
When i try xconf I get No X found so bailing....
So, I need some help.
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:21:35 pm by kole » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:17:52 pm »

Sounds like the installation failed somewhere. Did you make another attempt?
kole

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:21 pm »

Once it failed to install LILO but it reported it I have tried all WMs many times and MD5 is OK.
If you need some log files or something please tell me I'll gladly supply.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:20:37 am »

If X is not there, as well as lilo and password utilities, then there are probably more pieces missing. Trying to fix this manually will probably take a lot more work and time than a re-install. Start over and watch the installation. To save time you can choose the "barebone" option. If it is successful we can then talk you through a manual upgrade, using the files on the install CD.
kole

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:27:09 am »

Sorry for delay, I've tried few more times with same results. lilo installs most of the times, now is there. It creates a user only it doesn't let me change or create password but it works from CL.
I have installed "barebone" option and i can mount CD and I can browse it with MC.
Thanks
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:38 am »

Okay, hope you got a good basic install and that your hardware cooperates from here on.  Smiley
First of all, make sure user and passwords are in order.
As root, use command "passwd" and create one for the root account first.
Next, use "passwd <name_of_user>".

A couple more questions:
- Does X work? You can use command "startx" from command line
- What work environment do you want, IceWM, Openbox or LXDE?

kole

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:15:53 pm »

X does not work, for startx I get command not found.
I've done creation of password passwords and I am able to log in as root and as regular user.
I like IceWM, but I'll try all of them if procedure is similar.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »

Best to re-install all essential packages. The following will do that, plus option1 (Light, with IceWM).
As root: mount your CD. I'll assume /mnt/cdrom
Code:
cd /mnt/cdrom/base
installpkg *.txz
cd ../packages
installpkg $(find -name *.t?z)
cd ../extra
installpkg *.txz
cd ../option1
installpkg *.txz
cd ../config
installpkg vlconfig2-7.0-noarch-3vl70.txz
installpkg vlight-mods-1-1vl70.txz
installpkg option1.txz

Reboot your computer and complete any configuration questions.
kole

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:02:57 pm »

Thank you nightflier for your help,
When i tried manual installation I've realised that my CD was broken. Once I've replaced it, everything worked out of the box.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »

Very good. It happens. Go back to your original post and edit the title, adding [solved] or similar to it.

Enjoy your new VL system!  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: