VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 02:19:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: how to repair xfs partitions in samsung hard disk  (Read 7833 times)
vincent2
Vectorite

« on: April 22, 2012, 08:43:47 pm »

Bonjour!
After upgraded to kernel 3.3.2,reboot once entered the system, running one hour , power off, then switch on, then can't boot into vl7 std gold anymore...it prompted disk i/o errors.....while can boot into knoppix  live cd, see the two ntfs partition in the hard disk(i backed up the datas), while vl7stdgold partition "/" and"/home" in xfs can't be mounted at all....
any solution to recorver the datas in /home?
if i buy a same model hard disk , replacing the hard disk board , the disk would work again?
expect your urgent reply and solution!
all my work and thesis 're in /home.....
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:37:20 pm »

try xfs_check and xfs_repair

http://linux.die.net/man/8/xfs_repair
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:53:23 pm »

bonjour!
 just tried booting with knoppix cd, but under knoppix all linux partition can't be mounted at all, only one fat and ntfs partition can be seen...
the now way i could use xfs_repair command at all....

maybe i only  try buying  another same model hard disk, switch the green board of hard disk, it may read and recover the data..
what do you think?
any better methods available?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

sorry...no idea...
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:47:55 am »

just got usb2.0 to sata ide cable as xmas gift from indonesian linux user in Phnom penh, now pluged in, can read fat and ntfs patition, then INstalled Testdisk from slackware repo,
open testdisk under console, following step by step,now all the data was restored, now can enter vector again, but there's I/O error of harddisk samsung, should i Continue using it or backup all data and reformat the disk then make fresh install?
what do you think?
It's strange that vector community 're domaint , nobody seems knowing the data recovery abilities of testdisk.....
Hata-ph , you 're in malaysia, never had any problem with samsung disk formated as xfs?maybe malaysian 're too rich, whenever there's problem with hardware, they just buy new, also malaysian 're keen on hardware made in evil red cina...
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:55:18 am »

ALSO THERE'S REPORT REGARDING XFS FILE SYSTEM, IT CAN BE PROBLEMATIC IF ENCOUNTERING SUDDEN POWER OFF, IN THE CONDITION OF MANY THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES, POWER CUTS 'RE NORMAL, BROWN HOURS  ALSO NORMAL, BUT VECTOR USERS  MOSTLY CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY UPS, THEN THEY COULD ENCOUNTERING LOSS OF XFS  PATITION TABLE, INCONSISTANCIACIES OF DISK DATA, ETC...WHILE SENDING DISK TO LOCAL it COMPANIES, VERY VERY FEW LINUX EXPERTS THERE KNEW ....
LIKE TO HEAR VECTOR USER IN AFRICA  ENCOUNTERING THE SAME PROBLEM,HOW DID U COPE?THROW THE DISK  BOUGHT A NEW ONE?
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:58:12 am »

STRONGLY HOPE VECTOR DEVELOPPER UNDERSTAND THE ISSUE ABOUT XFS UNDER POWER CUTS CONDITION,MAKE SOME  DEFAULT TOOLS RUNING BACKGROUND TO ENSURE XFS FILESYTEM DATA SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 08:21:33 am »

So, you're asking us to code a power surge device for you ?  im sorry this isnt the matrix.  You should research the filesystem you use before you settle on it.  I learned that lesson about xfs about 5 years ago, and since then have not used it. 

My point is, VL supports many filesystems.  use one of the other more stable formats.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 08:28:19 am »

Just from looking over XFS FAQ it shows too many areas addressing corruption.

As far as bad power. My power has ups and downs 15-20 times a day. I run
UPS on all my systems. I also have two backups of everything. I have had
numerous blackouts and shutdowns without issue,

Moving to filesystem that does not have write cache issues is the better
way to go.

Bigpaws
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 02:34:32 pm »

Vinent2,

I think I use the Ext2 (or some such) file system.  Used to use reiserfs.  I never had these problems, though power here is pretty stable. Nonetheless I get radical stops fairly often when my battery dies, and haven't had your problem under either EXT2 or reiserfs. 

I see that the problem apparently developed when you upgraded the kernel.  When I upgraded the kernel on VL standard, the machine allowed me to boot into the new kernel or to just keep booting into the old kernel.  As your original post was in April, I am sure you would have tried booting into the original kernel already.  I wonder what happened when you tried that?

Merry Christmas.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 02:27:57 am »

do put testdisk as default tool for repairing  on default install of next new release of Vector, vector 7.1,etc......
IF Other vector users reminded me using testdisk to repair the xfs system, I would't have had much trouble, hapless in the third world countries without help for 6 months.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 07:12:51 am »

Glad you found a means of recovery. it is nice to have such tools available as cross platform tools for anyone to use. I have destroyed my boot loader by accident but used the vector install cd to reinstall it and easy recover. have also had blackouts mess up the partition but built in fsck walked through the recovery. but I am useing ext partitions which I have used for as long as linux so guess I am unfamiliar with new ideas. backups are a hard lesson that I never seem to learn so live cd's and recovery tools are a blessing. important work needs many copy, I find thumb size drives or usb storage helpfull.

Everything Is Relative
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 11:58:28 pm »

i deleted some big file, ie:the old vl7.0 iso, in the /home ,then plan to copy all data in /Home to another disk,

suddenly problem came back again,

can't read superblock  /dev/sdb7,
tried follwoning commands:

xfs_repair -n /dev/sdb7
 xfs_repair /dev/sdb7
xfs_repair  -L /dev/sdb7

still can't mount.

here's dmesg:
XFS (sdb7): metadata I/O error: block 0x1200001 ("xfs_trans_read_buf_map") error 5 numblks 1
[ 3831.091193] XFS (sdb7): xfs_do_force_shutdown(0x1) called from line 364 of file fs/xfs/xfs_trans_buf.c.  Return address = 0xffffffff812f6dd8
[ 3831.091199] XFS (sdb7): I/O Error Detected. Shutting down filesystem
[ 3831.091201] XFS (sdb7): Please umount the filesystem and rectify the problem(s)
[ 3831.091215] XFS (sdb7): Failed to recover EFIs
[ 3831.091217] XFS (sdb7): log mount finish failed

how to fix?
please help asap
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:26:53 am by vincent2 » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 05:55:53 am »

I do not know how to fix the problem. What I have found
after a little research is that this is a known kernel problem.

Here:
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_partition_type_should_I_use_for_XFS_on_Linux.3F

May give you some ideas on a fix. Like marking and moving the inode. Hopefully you helps.

Bigpaws
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 05:56:54 am »

ANYBODY CAN HELP ME OUT? ENOUGH SICKNESS WITH THIS SAMSUNG DISK MADE IN EVIL CINA?

ANOTHER FUJITSU DISK MADE IN JAPAN EXPERIENCED NUMEROUS POWERS SURGES IN THE PAST TWO YEAR, STILL WORKING, NO BAD SECTOR AT ALL.

IT ONLY  HAS BEEN  PROVED AGAIN THAT HOW EVIL THE IT GOODS MANUFACTURED IN  THAT RUSTIC CENTRAL KINGDOM, NO MATTER HOW WESTERN MAINSTREAM MEDIA PRAISED ABOUT CINA SWEATSHOPS, INCL. APPLE FORMER CEO JOBS, WHO'S BEEN FOOLED BY EVIL RED CINA, BUT TILL HE DIED HE NEVER ADMITTED HIS WRONG DOING=OEM APPLE LINE OF PRODUCTS TO EVIL CINA COMMUNISTES.HOW SILLY AND NAIVE THESE WESTERN GEEKS ARE TOWARDS THE EVIL COMMUNISTES !
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:58:43 am by vincent2 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: