VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 06:03:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to repair xfs partitions in samsung hard disk  (Read 7607 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 08:37:35 am »

There comes a time when you just have to throw in the towel and kick yourself for not creating regular backups. This has nothing to do with where a drive is made, but rather how you treat the system itself. If you know that there are power issues, one should take steps to ensure their data is protected. If not with an UPS, then ensure you're doing backups on a regular basis to ensure your data is safe.

Power failure is murder on hardware. While you may squeak by on multiple power outages, there will come a time when the law of averages will catch up and bite you in the backside. If the repair functions aren't working, your only recourse is to take the drive to a professional company that specializes in data retrieval. They  may or may not be able to get your data back. Of course, the price of a recovery isn't cheap. You have to make a decision as to whether the data is that important to spend that kind of money.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »

I do not know how to fix the problem. What I have found
after a little research is that this is a known kernel problem.

Here:
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_partition_type_should_I_use_for_XFS_on_Linux.3F

May give you some ideas on a fix. Like marking and moving the inode. Hopefully you helps.

Bigpaws

how to make

marking and moving the inode?
which commands?
please give the detailed commands?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:40:01 pm by vincent2 » Logged
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 04:50:36 pm »

There comes a time when you just have to throw in the towel and kick yourself for not creating regular backups. This has nothing to do with where a drive is made, but rather how you treat the system itself. If you know that there are power issues, one should take steps to ensure their data is protected. If not with an UPS, then ensure you're doing backups on a regular basis to ensure your data is safe.

Power failure is murder on hardware. While you may squeak by on multiple power outages, there will come a time when the law of averages will catch up and bite you in the backside. If the repair functions aren't working, your only recourse is to take the drive to a professional company that specializes in data retrieval. They  may or may not be able to get your data back. Of course, the price of a recovery isn't cheap. You have to make a decision as to whether the data is that important to spend that kind of money.

but current issue of "can't read superblock" came once i deleted one big file in that partition, as i planned to backup all data to another disk afterwards.but the issue suddenly came out, yesterday the power is normal, also ups is on, no porwer surge or whatsoever,........If I hadn't deleted that big file(vl64-rc2.iso)i would have backed up all data already, no data loss.
Please current issue  nothing to do with power surge, it's another issue, it must have some fix commands there.Please help!
YOU SEE HERE'S CAMBODIA, NOBODY CAN HELP ON XFS DATA RESCUE AT ALL.
IF YOU CAN, YOU'RE  RETIRED IN COZY CANADA, YOU'D BETTER TAKE KOREAN AIR FLIGHT AT 700 $  FOR AROUND TRIP TO CAMBODIA, OPEN A SHOP, THEN YOU'LL BE ABLE TO HELP MORE .
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »

how about upgrading xfs_repair/xfsprogs to latest version? as current version on VL repo is too old.

http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2010-05/msg00131.html
would any developer upgrade it to the latest version and upload to VL test repo?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:54:33 pm by vincent2 » Logged
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:22 am »

anybody can give the commands to fix?
anybody can give the commands to fix?
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:14 pm »

still expect a fix command to backup the data on xfs /home partition.
nobody 's willing to, all of you  gets sacked and unemployed without social welfare cheques from authorities?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 05:30:16 am »

Dude, will you please just learn your lesson and do your research on filesystems and choose a better FS?

Bumping the thread will do nothing here.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: