VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [FIXED] Booting Stalls tnen system Freezes  (Read 1136 times)

Pita

• Vectorian
[FIXED] Booting Stalls tnen system Freezes
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:44:20 am »

I  was installing VL-7-Gold from a flash drive. Gui Installer was running well untill the end when it showed 90% finished. Then it sat for a long time, nothing happened until I found the system had frozen.

After that I cannot any longer boot from any medium, be it HD, Live CD or bootable flash drive. In all 3 media the pattern is the same. Booting starts and rows of numbers followed by notices run until the scrolling stops and after a while the system is frozen. The notices are like ata2.00 status {DRDY ERR} or ATA bus error or time out.

I am now unable to use my PC desktop.

The BIOS is functioning. Could that be a MOBO problem?

Some hint badly needed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:12:38 am by Pita »

vector

• Administrator
  • Vectorite
Re: Booting Stalls tnen system Freezes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:19 am »

if the system boots and looks like it does I would say a faulty hd is causing boot problems.

Vec

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:43:30 am »

if the system boots and looks like it does I would say a faulty hd is causing boot problems.

Vec

I have to mention that with one Linux Distro Tiny Core which I have on a USB stick I am able to boot into. While in that box I can access my HD and even use some of the programs. From that box I made a reiserfsck on the HD partitions and nothing wrong was reported.
Now that distro runs of the RAM not aqny drive.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:09:06 am »

I agree with Vec. The error indicates bad sectors on the drive. When the system tries to read those areas, it fails. A cursory file system check may not detect this, you need a full surface scan. Doing a low level format, or fill the drive with zeros, may fix it.

Pita

• Vectorian
Re: [FIXED] Booting Stalls tnen system Freezes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:17:05 am »

It was the MOBO after all. One capacitor had blow. Got brand new 2nd hand. :)  All HD working properly.