VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 02:17:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [FIXED] Booting Stalls tnen system Freezes  (Read 702 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: April 25, 2012, 11:44:20 pm »

I  was installing VL-7-Gold from a flash drive. Gui Installer was running well untill the end when it showed 90% finished. Then it sat for a long time, nothing happened until I found the system had frozen.

After that I cannot any longer boot from any medium, be it HD, Live CD or bootable flash drive. In all 3 media the pattern is the same. Booting starts and rows of numbers followed by notices run until the scrolling stops and after a while the system is frozen. The notices are like ata2.00 status {DRDY ERR} or ATA bus error or time out.

I am now unable to use my PC desktop.

The BIOS is functioning. Could that be a MOBO problem?

Some hint badly needed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:12:38 am by Pita » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:19 pm »

if the system boots and looks like it does I would say a faulty hd is causing boot problems.

Vec
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:43:30 am »

if the system boots and looks like it does I would say a faulty hd is causing boot problems.

Vec

I have to mention that with one Linux Distro Tiny Core which I have on a USB stick I am able to boot into. While in that box I can access my HD and even use some of the programs. From that box I made a reiserfsck on the HD partitions and nothing wrong was reported.
Now that distro runs of the RAM not aqny drive.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:06 am »

I agree with Vec. The error indicates bad sectors on the drive. When the system tries to read those areas, it fails. A cursory file system check may not detect this, you need a full surface scan. Doing a low level format, or fill the drive with zeros, may fix it.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:17:05 am »

It was the MOBO after all. One capacitor had blow. Got brand new 2nd hand. Smiley  All HD working properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: