VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 08:47:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: problem with keyboard and mouse  (Read 2365 times)
jocy

« on: March 25, 2012, 12:32:27 pm »

hello
I've just installed Vector Linux 7 Light to my old computer and I have a strange problem with my keyboard and my mouse. When it comes to the screen where I have to type in my username and password, my keyboard doesn't work, nor does my mouse. both are ps/2. what could be the problem? keyboard works in the bios and in Lilo, I can select what to boot, after that it's like dead.. help please
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:00:36 am »

I have a white box PC built by Madtux.org before they drove themselves out of business.  It was one of the systems advertised on the VL websites and it came with VL 5.8 pre-installed.  I had purchased it for my daughter when she was still in school.  I did replace VL 5.8 Standard with VL 6.0 Light.  When VL 7.0 standard came along I attempted to install it as a replacement for VL 6.0 Light. 

VL 7.0 installer does not recognize the PS/2 keyboard.  Installation fails for that reason.

The computer has a MSI motherboard with an Intel Celeron D 2.8GHz processor (I did not order it with this processor but that is how it was shipped), 1GB of PC2-5300 RAM, a 15GB ATA HDD, CD-R, standard PS/2 mouse and keyboard and the usual assortment of usb, parallel and serial ports.  The system has not been altered in any way other than to upgrade the RAM from 512MB to 1GB. 

I wound up re-installing VL 6.0 Light and upgrading Firefox and Flashplayer to current versions so that she can continue to use the PC (as she has grown rather fond of VL).

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago. Turned out that the keyboard was plugged in to the mouse port and vice versa. Worth looking at.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: