VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 07:33:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can i disable xfce trash?  (Read 2096 times)
fogpipe
Vectorite

« on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:52 am »

This is the all time dumbest feature i have ever seen in a file/desktop manager, instead of deleting files, picking delete from a right click menu merely moves them to ~/.local/share/Trash/files

I have tried linking ~/.local/share/Trash/files to /dev/null, but then when i try to delete a file xfce complains that it isnt a directory.

i suppose i could create a cron job, but there just has to be a way to turn this off. i cant imagine that the developers are stupid enough to make this unchangeable.
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:07:33 pm »

I dont know if anybody is watching this thread but apparently this is somewhat of a hot topic on the xfce forum and mailing list. Until the developers include the ability to delete files in thunar here is a workaround.
This is a sendto link that will appear in the thunar sendto menu. Place a file with this content

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Oblivion
Name[en_GB]=Oblivion
Icon=internet-mail
Exec=rm -rf %F
In your /usr/share/Thunar/sendto dir and save it as thunar-oblivion.desktop. I have tested it a couple of times and it works. But be careful, i assume no responsibility for either use or misuse of this info. Anything you delete with this script will be GONE FOREVER. Adjust icon setting to your liking.

I wish traffic on this board would pick up a bit. Im getting tired of solving my own problems.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:13:42 am »

Well, shift-Del has always worked for me in Thunar/XFCE to bypass the Trash, that is pretty much the standard in most operating systems or desktop environments.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:00:06 am »

Well, shift-Del has always worked for me in Thunar/XFCE to bypass the Trash, that is pretty much the standard in most operating systems or desktop environments.

Yes same here.  Shift + delete does the trick.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:48 am »

In everyone except xfce (including windows) that i have experience with there is some sort of gui feature to turn off trash and delete things without a keyboard shortcut. I just adjusted the KDE setting to show delete in the right click menu to bypass trash.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:31:45 am »

I agree you should be able to change this behaivor, but looks like the Xfce will not do it. I did try to override the action for the <Delete> key with little success. Maybe using something like xbindkeys...
Looking around I saw a patch that disables the Trash thing, but it requires building for source and maintaining your own Thunar...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: